From: TK0JUT1%NIU.BIT...@uicvm.uic.edu (jim thomas)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Something to Consider
Date: 27 Mar 90 06:13:00 GMT
Sender: n...@accuvax.nwu.edu

When Pat Townson, the Moderator of this Digest, indicated that the LoD
discussions would be terminated, I, perhaps like many, dashed off a
note objecting. Pat responded with a convincing rationale for his
decision, one that is difficult to argue with. Loosely summarized, he
says:

  1. The volume of messages he receives is so high that he must, as a
     pragmatic matter, curtail some discussions.

  2. There are imposed limits on the amount of mail he can send out, which
     means not all good (or bad) ideas can be aired.

  3. He is bound by charter to keep the topics germane to telecom issues,
     which unfortunately limits some of the topics others of us find
     interesting.

Most of us can sympathize with these constraints, and it is a reminder
of the excellent job he does *in spite of* the restrictions imposed on
him.

Nonetheless, there are a number of issues raised by the LoD
indictments that remain unaddressed or inadequately discussed.  Mike
Goodwin's recent note identified many of the legal issues pertaining
to enforcement of computer abuse laws. There are other questions
involving the role of media and law enforcement in creating an
imagery, the ideological questions of control of information in a
democratic society, the problems of computerized information and
privacy, the role of "hackers" as in an increasingly technocratic
world, and ethical questions of the behavior of the "computer
underground (phreaks, hackers, and pirates).

If there is sufficient interest, I propose a digest, perhaps called
"The Computer Underground Digest," as a forum to raise these issues.
If anyone is interested, send a bitnote note to:

           TK0JUT2@NIU   (that's a zero, not an "oh")

NOTE: The address for the proposed new forum *is not* the header of
this address!

I'll put together a trial issue over the next few days in response to some of
the recent issues that have been raised.  The first issue could include:

  a) A copy of the LoD indictment
  b) A copy of the Press Release accompanying it
  c) A news story or two
  d) A defense of aliases on BBSs
  e) And anything else anybody wants to send.

If this sounds feasible, I welcome ideas or suggestions on what to
include, and would especially welcome initial comments or
observations. There are no restrictions on size or on topic, and
controversial themes are welcome.

For those who first want to know my own background or qualifications:
I am currently associate professor (full in the fall) of
sociology/criminal justice at Northern Illinois University and have
been engaged in research with Gordon Meyer for the past two years on
the computer underground. Although Gordon has not yet "volunteered,"
he would be co-moderator.