From: b645...@utarlg.utarl.edu (STEPHEN HUFNAGEL)
Newsgroups: alt.cyberpunk
Subject: GURPS and the FEDS
Date: 19 Sep 90 13:25:29 GMT
Sender: use...@helios.TAMU.EDU
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.3-4

Hello NETTERs,
	Can someone explain why GURPS cyberpunk was of such an interest of an
interest to the SS? I read the cover info in the GURPS manual on the bust; why
GURPS? It really doesn't differ from the other Cyberpunk games by Interlock and
(who does ShadowRun?) whoever. I guess the agents must have be old Car Wars
fans and they wanted to be the first in the nation with the new sourcebook. (<-
that's a joke :^> ) I just hope it's was SJG that ticked them off and not just
the Cyberpunk genre. If they are after all CP stuff . . . shudder . . ..

>	Can someone explain why GURPS cyberpunk was of such an interest of an
>interest to the SS? I read the cover info in the GURPS manual on the bust; why
>GURPS? It really doesn't differ from the other Cyberpunk games by Interlock and
>(who does ShadowRun?) whoever. I guess the agents must have be old Car Wars
>fans and they wanted to be the first in the nation with the new sourcebook. (<-
>that's a joke :^> ) I just hope it's was SJG that ticked them off and not just
>the Cyberpunk genre. If they are after all CP stuff . . . shudder . . ..

Basically, there were two reasons:

First, Lloyd Blankenship, the author of the game, is a former hacker
who operated the SJG BBS, who was friends with the Legion of Doom, and
who consulted the Legion of Doom while writing the book.

Second, the game itself is concerned with computer intrusion; since that
was the Secret Service's boogaboo, they were all set to interpret the game
as the guidebook to hacking.

--Mike

Mike Godwin, UT Law School  |"If the doors of perception were cleansed
mnemo...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu | every thing would appear to man as it is,
(512) 346-4190              | infinite."