Newsgroups: alt.cyberpunk
From: pac...@wixer.bga.com (Paco Xander Nathan)
Subject: CONF - DefCon I
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1993 23:33:57 GMT

From dtangent!dtangent.wa.com!dtan...@nwnexus.wa.com
Sat Apr 10 02:00:21 1993
Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 1993 23:28:47 PDT
From: "The Dark Tangent" <dtan...@dtangent.wa.com>
Subject: CONF - DEF CON I Update

                  D E F  C O N  I   C O N V E N T I O N
                          DEF CON I CONVENTION
                  D E F  C O N  I   C O N V E N T I O N

>> READ AND DISTRIBUTE AND READ AND DISTRIBUTE AND READ AND DISTRIBUTE <<

                   Finalized Announcement: 4/09/1993

              We are proud to announce the 1st annual Def Con.

    If you are at all familiar with any of the previous Con's, then you
will have a good idea of what DEF CON I will be like. If you don't have any
experience with Con's, they are an event on the order of a pilgrimage to
Mecca for the underground. They are a mind-blowing orgy of information
exchange, viewpoints, speeches, education, enlightenment... And most of all
sheer, unchecked PARTYING. It is an event that you must experience at least
once in your lifetime.

    The partying aside, it is a wonderful opportunity to met some of the
celebrities of the underground computer scene. And those that shape its
destiny - the lawyers, libertarians, and most of all the other There will
be plenty of open-ended discussion on security, telephones and other
topics. As well as what TIME magazine calls the "Cyberpunk Movement".

    Las Vegas, is as you might have guessed a great choice for the Con.
Gambling, loads of hotels and facilities, cheap air fare and room rates.
It's also in the West Coast making it more available to a different crowd
than the former Cons have been.

Your foray into the scene and your life will be forever incomplete
if by some chance you miss out on DEF CON I. Plan to be there!

WHO:   You know who you are.
WHAT:  Super Blowout Party Fest, with Speakers and Activities.
WHERE: Las Vegas, Nevada
WHEN:  July 9th, 10th and 11th (Fri, Sat, Sun) 1993
WHY:   To meet all the other people out there you've been talking to for
       months and months, and get some solid information instead of rumors.

     So your bored, and have never gone to a convention?  You want to meet
all the other members of the so called 'computer underground'?  You've been
calling BBS systems for a long time now, and you definitely have been
interacting on the national networks.  You've bullshitted with the best,
and now it's time to meet them in Vegas!  For me I've been networking for
years, and now I'll get a chance to meet everyone in the flesh.  Get
together with a group of your friends and make the journey.

     We cordially invite all hackers/phreaks, techno-rats, programmers,
writers, activists, lawyers, philosophers, politicians, security officials,
cyberpunks and all network sysops and users to attend.

     DEF CON I will be over the weekend in the middle of down town Las
Vegas at the Sands Hotel.  Why Las Vegas?  Well the West Coast hasn't had
a  good Convention that I can remember, and Las Vegas is the place to do it.
Cheap food, alcohol, lots of entertainment and, like us, it never sleeps.
We will have a convention room open 24 hours so everyone can meet and plan
and scheme till they pass out.  Events and speakers will be there to provide
distraction and some actual information and experiences from this loosely
knit community.

        This is an initial announcement.  It is meant only to alert you to
the time, dates and location of the convention.  Future announcements will
inform you about specific speakers and events.

        An information pack is FTPable off of the internet at nwnexus.wa.com,
in the cd/pub/dtangent directory. The IP# is 192.135.191.1  Information
updates will be posted there in the future as well as scanned map images and
updated speaker lists.

FINAL NOTES:

        COST:  How you get there is up to you, but United Airlines will be
the official carrier (meaning if you fly you get a 5% to 10% price reduction
off the cheapest available fare at the time of ticket purchase)  When buying
airline tickets, call 1-800-521-4041 and reference meeting ID# 540ii.  Hotel
Rooms will cost $62 per night for a double occupancy room.  Get your friends
together and split the cost.  Food is inexpensive.  The entertainment is
free inside the hotel.  Reference the DEF CON I convention when registering,
as we have a block of rooms locked out, but once they go it will be first
come, fist serve.  Call 1-800-634-6901 for the reservations desk.

        The convention itself will cost $30 at the door, or $15 in advance.
Mail checks/money orders/cashiers checks to: DEF CON I, 2709 East Madison
Street, Seattle, WA, 98112.  Make them payable to: "DEF CON" we're not tring
to make money, we will be tring to cover costs of the confrence room and hotel
plus air fair for the speakers who require it.  Don't bother mailing it a week
in andvance, that just won't happen.  Advanced registration gets you a groovy
pre-generated name tag.  Include with your payment the name you want listed,
your association/group affiliation/bbs/whatever, email address, and/or bbs
number for syops.  Last day for the registrations to reach me will be july 1st.

        SPEAKERS:  We are soliciting speakers from all aspects of the
computer underground and associated culture (Law, Media, Software Companies,
Cracking Groups, Hacking Groups, Magazine Editors, Artists, Etc.)  If you
know  of someone interested in speaking on a self selected topic, please
contact The Dark Tangent to discuss it.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

        For initial comments, requests for more information, information
about speaking at the event, or maps to the section where prostitution is
legal outside Las Vegas (Just Kidding) Contact The Dark Tangent on any of
the following networks in the general conversation echos:

CyberCrime, Platinum Net, Thunder Net, Scurvy Net, The Crime Syndicate,
~TOP~, Net, HiT Net, Shark Net.  Leave the comments in the general
message sections.

Or leave me mail at: dtan...@dtangent.wa.com on the Internet.
Or call: A Dark Tangent System at: 206.722.7357 (This # will change 6/1/93)
Or Snail Mail (U.S. Postal Service) it to DEF CON, 2709 East Madison Street,
   Seattle, WA, 98112.

Future information updates will pertain to the speaking agenda.

            DEF CON I CONVENTION  [PROPOSED SPEAKING SCHEDULE 4.9.1993]

                          Saturday the 10th of July

         INTRODUCTION       Welcome to the convention
                            *The Dark Tangent (CON Organizer)

      Keynote speaker       Cyberspace, Society, crime and the future.

   Civil Libertarians
                -CPSR       Computer Privacy/1st Ammendment/
                 -EFF       The future of Internet/Who owns it
       -USC Comp. Law       Legalities of BBS Operation, message content
                            laws and network concerns.
                            *Allen Grogan, Editor of Computer Lawer

     'The Underworld'
          -Networking       Concerns of National Networking
                            of CCi Net.
                            *Midnight Sorrow.

            -Pirating       Concerns of a Pirating / Cracking
                            Organization.

                            Concerns of a Major BBS operator
                            Why run the Risk?

               -Virus       Virus Creation/Explanation

         Corporations
    -Packet Switching
               SPRINT       Concerns/security and the future
                  MCI       of packet switching.
                            (*Jim Black, MCI Systems Integrity)

             Internet
                -CERT       Changing rolls / Changing environmnets
                -CIAC

            System 75       Information on the System 75
                            *Scott Simpson

-System Administrator       Security Concerns of an Administrator
                            *Terminus

     The 'Underworld'
            -Internet       The security problems with Internet/Networks
                            Overview of hacking
                            *Dark Druid

      -Getting Busted       The process of getting "busted"
                            *Count Zero

                 -PBX       Defeating ANI/PBX Q&A
                            *Anonymous

  -How to be a nobody       Hiding your identity in the high-tech future, or
                            The payphone is your friend.
                            *Anonymous

   Other Institutions
  -The Secret Service       Their Defined Roll/Priorities/Q&A
                            *Nevada Secret Service Office

     -The Prosecutors       Their concerns/problems and
       Hacker Hunters       suggestions for the 'underworld'/Q&A

           -The Media       The effect of the media on public perceptions
                            *Erik Bloodaxe / Phrack Magazine

           CONCLUSION       General Q&A

This itenerary is proposed, and topics and speakers will be marked as
permanant once a confirmation is recieved.  This is by no means the exact
format of DEF CON I.  Any Questions / Comments Contact:

        dtan...@dtangent.wa.com
        A Dark Tangent System 206-722-7357
--

[>  A Dark Tangent System                                   206.722.7357   <]

>> READ AND DISTRIBUTE AND READ AND DISTRIBUTE AND READ AND DISTRIBUTE <<

                    Finalized Announcement: 6/12/1993

[...]

together and split the cost to $31.  Food is inexpensive.  The entertainment
is free inside the hotel.  Reference the DEF CON I convention when
registering, as we have a block of rooms locked out, but once they go it will
be first come, fist serve.  Call 1-800-634-6901 for the reservations desk.

        The convention itself will cost $30 at the door, or $15 in advance.
It pays to register in advance! Also it helps us plan and cover expenses!
Mail checks/money orders/cashiers checks to: DEF CON I, 2709 East Madison
Street, #102, Seattle, WA, 98112.  Make them payable to: "DEF CON" we're not
tring to make money, we will be tring to cover costs of the confrence room and
hotel plus air fair for the speakers who require it.  Don't bother mailing it
a week in andvance, that just won't happen.  Advanced registration gets you a
groovy 24 bit color pre-generated name tag.  Include with your payment the
name you want listed, your association/group affiliation/bbs/whatever, email
address, and/or bbs number for syops.  Last day for the registrations to reach
me will be July 1st.

        SPEAKERS:  We have solicited speakers from all aspects of the
computer underground and associated culture (Law, Media, Software Companies,
Cracking Groups, Hacking Groups, Magazine Editors, Etc.)  If you know of
someone interested in speaking on a self selected topic, please contact The
Dark Tangent to discuss it.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

        For initial comments, requests for more information, information
about speaking at the event, or maps to the section where prostitution is
legal outside Las Vegas (Just Kidding) Contact The Dark Tangent by leaving
me mail at: dtan...@dtangent.wa.com on the InterNet.

Or call: 0-700-TANGENT for conference information/updates and to leave
         questions or comments.
Or Snail Mail (U.S. Postal Service) it to DEF CON, 2709 East Madison Street,
#102, Seattle, WA, 98112.

Future information updates will pertain to the speaking agenda.

Updates since the last announcement:

>> The Secret Service is too busy to attend.
>> New Media Magazine, Unix World and Robert X. Cringly have stated they will
   attend.
>> We got a voice mail system working for comments and questions.
>> We don't have enough $$$ to fly out the EFF or Phillip Zimmerman (Author
   of PGP) or Loyd Blankenship.
>> Judi Clark will be representing the CPSR and a few other organizations

++ National Public Radio will cover the event
++ Mark Ludwig (Autor of the little black book of computer viruses and
   virus developements quartly will attend and hand out an award
++ Dan Farmer will be speaking on unix security developements

Don't forget to bring a poster / banner representing any of the groups you
belong to.  I want to cover the conferece room walls with a display of all
the various groups / people attending.  (Break out the crayons and markers)

---
 � OLX 2.1 � Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.