Newsgroups: alt.cyberpunk.tech
From: jsn...@netcom.com (John R. Snead)
Subject: Red Boxes and More...
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 1994 09:54:18 GMT

Hi, I got this off the Underground section of the UIowa bbs
(telnet bbs.isca.uiowa.edu, all handles and such refer to it.
Lot's of yummy info here (for entertainment purposes only :-)
Here it is...

Anyway, what hereby follows is what will be an ongoing list of FTP
sites for people to find underground related info.  If you have a site
to add to the list let me know and I'll insert it in.  These sites are
good for amassing EZines, Tfiles and various other interesting stuff.

ftp.eff.org
phred.pc.cc.cmu.edu
quartz.rutgers.edu
uglymouse.css.itd.umich.edu
grind.isca.uiowa.edu
zero.cypher.com
cert.sei.cmu.edu
etext.archive.umich.edu

some interesting gopher sites(note: any questions relating to gopher belong
in INET not here):

gopher.eff.org 5070
gopher.wired.com

and here is a list of people who are happy to help people answer
questions:
Abort  (starting new on hacking)
Chani  (drug related questions, especially herbal,legalites)
Athame (drug related questions, especially chemical structures)
Term (weaponry/explosives)
Artimage (general hacking info)
Wanderer (legal/illegal drug related questions)
Sample (questions concerning the INET)
Billy Gnosis (talk about chaos theory)
Caustic (Unix or Novell hacking, cellular phreaking and DES)
Matrixx (phreaking/hacking/getting started)
Deerfield (clinical drug usage)

If you would like to be on this lists...mail me and I'll be happy to add
your name.

now a few things that get frequently asked:

WHAT IS A RED BOX AND HOW DO I MAKE ONE?

First note: a redbox is merely a device which plays the tone a payphone makes
when you insert money. You just play it through the mike on the handset. You
would think that the Phone Co. would mute the handset until you put a quarter
in, and perhaps they are starting to build phones like that, but I have yet to
see one.

What you need:
- Radio Shack 33 memory Pocket Tone Dialer
- 6.4- 6.5536 megahurtz microproccesor crystal (also available at Radio Shack,
if the don't have them in stock they will order one for you.)
- A solder gun.
- Someone who can point out the microprocceso crystal in the Tone Dialer.

Instructions:
1) Open up the back of the tone dialer. User screwdriver.

2) Locate microproccesor crystal. It should be toward the right side. It will
be smaller than the 6.4mhz one you bought, but othrwise vaguely similar.  It is
basically capsel-shaped, with two electrodes coming out of the bottom which
are soldered onto a circuit board.

3) De-solder, and de-attach, crystal. Heat the solder that the crystal is
seated in; remove crystal.

4) Attach 6.4mhz crystal. It is easiest just to use the solder which is already
there from the old crystal, that way there is less chance of you dropping hot
solder somewhere it shouldn't be and losing everything. Heat first one drop of
solder with the solder gun,a nd seat one electrode of the 6.4mhz crystal in it,
then do the same with the other. This is the easiest part to mess up, be
carefull that both drops of solder don't run together.

5) Put cover back on. you are done.

How to use: Five presses of the "*" key will make the quarter sound. I think
fewer presses make nickel/dime sounds, but I can't remember specifically. Here
in Michigan, you can simply hold it up to the handset and press memory recall
button 1 (where you have conveniantly recorded five *'s. Read the tone dialer
directions on how to do this.) and get a quarter credit, _IF_ you are calling
LD. Keep making the tone to get additional credits. There is a maximum number
of credits you can have at once.

Here in 313, to make a local call this for some reason does not work. You need
to first put in a real coin, then you can use the redbox for additional
credits. There is a way around this, however: Call the operator, and aske her
to dial your number for you. She should do this without asking why, it is a
regular service. If you need an excuse, say the "4" key isn't working, or
something. She will ask you to insert your money. AT this point use the redbox.
If all goes well, she dials your number and you're in business. If she says
"Will you do that one more time," or "Who is this," or any variations, hang up
and walk away.
                          -taken from a forgetton poster in the underground>

HOW DO I MAKE FAKE MAIL?
login in to port 25 of any internet server (eg oberlin.edu 25)
type helo
type mail from:(name of person)
type rcpt to:(person who gets mail)

the mail server should ok each time after each name.  if it does not type vrfy
and then the name of the person.
retype the command, it should say ok now.
type data
enter you letter
to send letter type a "." on an empty line.
then type quit
this is traceable by any sysadmin... don't harrass people this way.
if the person receiving the mail uses a shell like elm he/she will not see the
tell tale fake message warning "Apparently-To:(name)"  even if not, most people
wouldn't know what it means anyway.
                     -taken from a post by Beelzebub in the Underground

WHAT DOES SALTING VENDING MACHINES DO?
When you take concentrated salt water (a high concetration of salt) and squirt
it into the change slot (preferrably where the dollar bills come in, though
some say it doesn't matter), the salt will short circuit the machine and out
will poor change and hopefully sodas.

HOW DO I GET A HOLD OF 2600?
2600 is a technical journal put out by hackers and is available by:
mail:
 2600

 PO Box 752
 Middle Island, NY  11953
 PH:516-751-2600
or by email:
26...@well.sf.ca.us

WHERE IS A GOOD PLACE TO FIND INFORMATION ON EXPLOSIVES AND OTHER
OTHER TOPICS RELATING TO THE UNDERGROUND?

Loompanics is one of the major distributers of material relating to the
underground including explosives.  You can get the catalogue by mailing:
          Loompanics  unlim
          p.o. box 1197
          port townsend, wash 98368

If you would like to add to this list or make any corrections, please feel to
mail me....

The Underground>

1)EXAMINE THE BACK OF YOUR TV. SET.

FIND THE TV.ANTENNA TERMINALS (THESE
ARE THE ANTENNA TERMINALS THAT THE
CABLE SERVICE IS HOOKED UP TO). GET A
PIECE OF ANTENNA WIRE (ABOUT 3 FEET
LONG). STRIP ONE END OF THE WIRE AND
ATCH IT TO THE VHF TERMINALS ALONG
WITH THE CABLE. TUNE IN TO ONE OF THE
MOVIE SERVICES AND ADJUST THE FINE
TUNER UNTIL YOU GET THE CLEANEST
PICTURE. GUT OFF ABOUT 1/4 INCH OF
THE ANTENNA WIRE AND ADJUST THE FINE
TUNER. CONTINUE TO DO THIS UNTIL YOU
GET A NEARLY PERFECT PICTURE (YOU
SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CUT OFF MORE THAN
6 INCHES OF THE ANTENNA WIRE). GET A
PIECE OF ALUMINUM FOIL AND WRAP IT
AROUND THE ANTENNA WIRE SLIDE IT UP
AND DOWN UNTIL YOU HAVE A PERFECT
PICTURE. THIS IS A SIMPLE YET
EFFECTIVE WAY TO GET MOVIES FOR FREE.
MORE IN DEPTH INFORMATION ON
DESCRAMBLERS AND CONVERTERS MAY BE
OBTAINED BY WRITING TO CABLE FACTS,BOX

711-R,PATASKALA,OH. 43062. THEY HAVE
AN EXCELLENT PUBLICATION AVAILABLE FOR
$8.95.      (CLOSE BUFFER)

i got this a *LONG* time ago, i think it was posted on
the forbidden zone bbs...but i'm not sure.  this may or may not work now,
but it may be worth a try. good luck.
-->tom
[The Underground> msg #13033 (4 remaining)] Read cmd ->

Have fun -John jsn...@netcom.com