From: NY Transfer News Collective <n...@blythe.org>
Subject: Secret Service Victim Severely beaten in Prison
Date: 1996/09/05
followup-to: alt.activism.d
resent-from: "Rich Winkel" <MATH...@MIZZOU1.missouri.edu>
organization: ?
newsgroups: misc.activism.progressive
originator: dae...@pencil.math.missouri.edu

Via NY Transfer News Collective * All the News that Doesn't Fit

 Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 01:21:36 -0300 (ADT)
 From: david blumenstein <da...@david.com>

Please take the time to read the press release below, i know that it is
long, but it is also quite detailed. We need as many people as possible to
bring attention to this story. This has gone far beyond a "computer hacker"
story/issue...it has now taken on human rights implications...I strongly
urge subscribers of this list to spread the word, if you or your publication
does not cover such stories, perhaps there are peers of yours who do...

If you have any further questions regarding this case please contact
emma...@2600.com (Emmanuel Goldstein)

MAN CONVICTED OF POSSESSING LAWFUL ITEMS AND BOOKS
NOW SEVERELY BEATEN AFTER CRITICIZING PRISON CONDITIONS

             TARGET OF CAMPAIGN BY U.S. SECRET SERVICE

                                 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

A man in prison for nothing more than possession of
electronic parts easily obtainable at any Radio Shack, has been
savagely beaten after being transferred to a maximum security prison
as punishment for speaking out publicly about prison conditions.
Ed Cummings, recently published in Wired and Internet Underground, as
well as a correspondent for WBAI-FM in New York and 2600 Magazine,
has been the focus of an increasingly ugly campaign of harrassment
and terror from the authorities. At the time of this writing, Cummings
is locked in the infectious diseases ward at Lehigh County prison in
Allentown, Pennsylvania, unable to obtain the proper medical treatment
for the severe injuries he has suffered.

The Ed Cummings case has been widely publicized in the computer hacker
community over the past 18 months. In March of 1995, in what can only
be described as a bizarre application of justice, Cummings (whose pen
name is "Bernie S.") was targetted and imprisoned by the United States
Secret Service for mere possession of technology that could be used to
make free phone calls. Although the prosecution agreed there was no
unauthorized access, no victims, no fraud, and no costs associated with
the case, Cummings was imprisoned under a little known attachment to the
Digital Telephony bill allowing individuals to be charged in this fashion.
Cummings was portrayed by the Secret Service as a potential terrorist
because of some of the books found in his library.

A year and a half later, Cummings is still in prison, despite the
fact that he became eligible for parole three months ago. But things have
now taken a sudden violent turn for the worse. As apparent retribution for
Cummings' continued outspokenness against the daily harrassment and
numerous injustices that he has faced, he was transferred on Friday
to Lehigh County Prison, a dangerous maximum security facility. Being
placed in this facility was in direct opposition to his sentencing
order. The reason given by the prison: "protective custody".

A day later, Cummings was nearly killed by a dangerous inmate for not
getting off the phone fast enough. By the time the prison guards stopped
the attack, Cummings had been kicked in the face so many times that he
lost his front teeth and had his jaw shattered. His arm, which he tried
to use to shield his face, was also severely injured. It is expected that
his mouth will be wired shut for up to three months. Effectively,
Cummings has now been silenced at last.

)From the start of this ordeal, Cummings has always maintained his
composure and confidence that one day the injustice of his
imprisonment will be realized. He was a weekly contributor to a
radio talk show in New York where he not only updated listeners on
his experiences, but answered their questions about technology.
People from as far away as Bosnia and China wrote to him, having
heard about his story over the Internet.

Now we are left to piece these events together and to find those
responsible for what are now criminal actions against him. We are
demanding answers to these questions: Why was Cummings transferred
for no apparent reason from a minimum security facility to a very
dangerous prison? Why has he been removed from the hospital immediately
after surgery and placed in the infectious diseases ward of the very
same prison, receiving barely any desperately needed medical
attention? Why was virtually every moment of Cummings' prison stay a
continuous episode of harrassment, where he was severely punished for
such crimes as receiving a fax (without his knowledge) or having too
much reading material? Why did the Secret Service do everything in
their power to ruin Ed Cummings' life?

Had these events occurred elsewhere in the world, we would be quick
to condemn them as barbaric and obscene. The fact that such things are
taking place in our own back yards should not blind us to the fact that
they are just as unacceptable.

Lehigh County Prison will be the site of several protest actions as will
the Philadelphia office of the United States Secret Service. For more
information on this, email pro...@2600.com or call our office at
(516) 751-2600.

More information on this case can be found on the following
web site: http://www.2600.com.

9/4/96

These are the people responsible for keeping Ed Cummings imprisoned.

Name/Address                            Phone                   Fax

Bucks County Correctional Facility      215.325.3700            215.345.3940
1730 South Easton Road
Doylestown, PA
Director:  Mr. Nesbitt (warden equivalent)
Chief:     John Henderson (had Cummings thrown into maximum security
                           for receiving a fax from a reporter - later
                           told Cummings he had "no right" to speak
                           to the press)

Lehigh County Prison                    610.820.3270
38 North Fourth Street
Allentown, PA 18103
Warden:    Ed Sweeney                   610.820.3133            610.820.3450

Haverford Township Police Department
        John Morris                     610.853.2400            610.853.1706
          (original arresting officer who believed Cummings was involved
           in a drug deal because he was observed selling electronic
           components to a vehicle occupied by African Americans)

Northampton County Probation Department
        Scott Hoke (parole officer)     610.559.7211            610.559.7218
           (as Cummings' parole officer for a minor infraction years
            earlier, Hoke had told Cummings that parole was a waste of
            time for such a trivial offense. However, after being
            interviewed by the Secret Service, Hoke did an about face
            and began referring to Cummings as a very dangerous criminal
            who needed to be in prison for a long time.)

Harrisburg Parole Office
        Ralph Bigley                    717.787.2563            717.772.3534
        Mr. Bigelow                     717.787.5699

Northampton County Courthouse (main)    610.559.3000
        Judge Panella                   610.515.0830            610.515.0832

US District Court, Philadelphia (main)  215.597.2995
601 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
        Judge Marjorie Rendell          215.597.3015            215.580.2393
        Judge Jay C. Waldman            215.597.9644            215.580.2155
        Judge Charles B. Smith          215.597.0421            215.597.6125

Assistant U.S. Attorney
Anne Whatley Chain, Esq.                215.451.5282
615 Chestnut Street
Suite 1250
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Special Agent Thomas L. Varney
U.S. Secret Service (main)              215.597.0600            215.597.2435
Room 7236
Federal Building
600 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
           (Varney was the key factor in having Ed Cummings imprisoned
            since March of 1995. It was he who convinced Det. John Morris
            that Cummings' possession of electronic components and certain
            books and magazines made him a danger to society. His testimony
            stands out in its incredible assessment of Cummings as nothing
            short of a terrorist and his ability, as a representative of
            one of the nation's most powerful agencies, to convince others
            in law enforcement that Cummings belongs in prison with the most
            dangerous and most violent of criminals.)

     david m blumenstein    lead technologist
         Ogilvy & Mather    da...@david.com
      Corporate Division    da...@ogilvy.com
      work: 212.237.6751    home: 718.544.6411

  NY Transfer News Collective   *   A Service of Blythe Systems
           Since 1985 - Information for the Rest of Us
              339 Lafayette St., New York, NY 10012
  http://www.blythe.org                  e-mail: n...@blythe.org