Newsgroups: net.news
From: cbosgd!mark
Date: Wed Dec 23 21:28:32 1981
Subject: proposed USENET policies

The following policies for USENET are proposed.  Comments are invited.

		Proposed USENET Policies

The most important consideration is the USENET exists for and by
the users, and should respond to the needs of those users.  As needs
arise, users should be allowed to make proposals which all interested
users can vote on.

USENET is a cashless network.  No person or organization may charge
another organization for news, except that by prearrangement, one
site (a) may be required to pay the expenses incurred by another site (b)
in sending news to site (a).  Such expenses include the cost of phone
calls and equipment, but only to the extent that such expenses would
not be incurred if site (b) did not send news to site (a).  Each site
is expected to carry its own local costs.  If a site receives news, it
should be willing to forward that news on to at least two additional sites.

News articles are divided into a number of classes.  Each site may decide
which classes it wants to accept and which classes it forwards to its
neighboring sites.  Classes sanctioned by USENET include the following:
	net	Computer Science related topics.  Articles on these
		newsgroups have professional or academic orientation,
		and generally have direct benefit to the organizations
		on the network.
	fa	Like net, but copies of mailing lists from the ARPANET.

	pers	Topics of personal interest, such as hobbies.  Such topics
		do not necessarily relate to the job a person is doing,
		and can be viewed as a "spare time" activity.
	fpa	Like fa, but for personal topics.
Portions of USENET, such as a group of machines which are all part of
one company or university, may form additional classes of newsgroup for
distribution within that portion of the network.  They may apply any
standards to these classes they wish.

Articles posted to USENET sanctioned classes are expected to be of high
quality.  The name of the author should be signed.  Articles which are
likely to be offensive to any part of the user community should not be
posted.  Peer pressure via direct electronic mail will, hopefully,
prevent any further distastful or offensive articles.  Repeated
violations of this policy can be grounds for removing a user or site
from the network.

In the past, it has been too easy for any user to create a new newsgroup.
This has resulted in a disorganized and inconsistent set of newsgroups.
Newsgroups in the four categories above will be created by a member of
the USENET committee.  A user wishing to create a new newsgroup should
propose it by posting an article to net.general (or pers.general, as
appropriate).  Others wishing to subscribe to the newsgroup should send
direct electronic mail to the first user.  If there is enough interest
to warrent creation of the newsgroup, the user should send the replies
to the committee, who will create the newsgroup (possibly with a different
name or class).

---- end of policy statement
(The formation of the committee is undecided.  It would probably contain
people such as myself, glickman, swd, trt, smb, and jte, depending on
time and interest.)

I propose dividing the existing newsgroups up as follows.  This is not
a hard and fast division, and I will be happy to listen to suggested
redivisions.  The rationalle behind putting net.chess in net is that
it is Computer Science research related.  The microcomputer groups were
put in pers because they are mostly for the hobbyist.  But the real
criterion is whether a system which is "all business" would want to
receive a given group - comments from such systems are especially welcome.

	net.general			Usenet news of general interest
	net.applic			Applicative programming languages
	net.bugs.all			Bug reports on various software
		net.bugs.2bsd		Berkeley pdp-11 distribution
		net.bugs.4bsd		Berkeley VAX distribution
		net.bugs.u3		UNIX 3.0
		net.bugs.v7		Version 7 bugs
	net.chess			Computer chess
	net.eunice			The Eunice Unix emulator for VMS
	net.news			News about netnews
		net.news.b		Version B news
	net.periphs			Hardware peripherals
	net.test			Test messages, not interesting.
	net.ucds			UNIX circuit design system

	pers.rec.all			Participant sports (recreation)
		pers.rec.ski		Skiing (formerly net.ski)
		pers.rec.scuba		Diving (formerly net.scuba)
	pers.rumor			Rumors about software, hardware, etc.
	pers.sport.all			All spectator sports mailing lists
		pers.sport.baseball	Baseball
		pers.sport.football	Football
		pers.sport.hockey	Hockey
	pers.auto.all			Car owner discussions/queries
		pers.auto.vw		Volkswagen Rabbit
	pers.aviation			Aviation topics
	pers.columbia			News about the space program
	pers.cycle			Motorcycle topics
	pers.games			Computer games of the /usr/games type
	pers.games.rogue			That wonderful game
	pers.ham-radio			Ham radio
	pers.jokes			The latest good joke you heard
		pers.jokes.q		We drop this newsgroup
	pers.movies			Movie reviews
	pers.music			What is this group about, anyway?

	fa.arpa-bboard			Arpanet bulletin boards
					(arpanet-bboards@AI)
	fa.digest-p			For Digest maintainers
	fa.editor-p			Editors (editor-people@su-score)
	fa.human-nets *			Computers in the real world
					(human-nets@AI)
	fa.info-terms			News about terminals (info-terms@MC)
	fa.info-vax			Information on the VAX, mostly VMS
	fa.printers			Printers
	fa.tcp-ip *			TCP & IP protocols (tcp-ip@brl)
	fa.unix-wizards			Unix system gurus mailing list
					(unix-wizards@SRI-UNIX)
	fa.works *			Work station computers (workS@AI)

	pfa.arms-d *			Continuing debate on arms (arms-d@MC)
	pfa.energy *			Various energy topics (energy@MC)