From: bjo...@weber.ucsd.edu (Bruce Jones)
Newsgroups: news.admin,comp.org.usenix
Subject: Old Usenet News on CDROM(s)
Date: 16 Jun 92 17:50:10 GMT

For the past two years or so I have been working on a history of
usenet.  As part of the project I have accumulated a large
collection of old news and miscellaneous closely-related maps, mail,
papers and the like.

In concert with a number of other folks like Henry Spencer, Kent
Landfield and possibly Usenix, there are plans afoot to put this
archive on a number of CDROM disks.

The disks would contain old usenet news with the readers that
existed during the period the disk covers. (A-News and A+ News on
the first disk.) There will likely be a history piece describing
the layout of the net's structure and a little of what it was like
on usenet then.  The first disk will also include as many of the
papers etc. about the beginning of the net as we can find and get
permission to include.

The disks would also include an indexing method such as WAIS or
lqtext to allow for access to the data without having to use a
news reader (no joy for those who remember the A-News reader :-).

This article is a short survey to determine things like approximate
market, format of the disks, and etc.  Please take a moment to respond.

NOTE: People who wish to discuss the implications/ramifications/
copyright issues related to publishing oldnews on CDROMs *PLEASE*
indicate CLEARLY in the Subject line of your response.

Questions:

Would you purchase CDROM disks of old news? [YN]
(I realize that this question begs the question of how much -
guess-timates run $35 to $50 per disk).

Which years' news would you be most interested in purchasing:
(Please rate #1, 2 and 3)
1981-1984
1985-1987
1988-1990

What format would be most useful:
ISO
Rockridge
Other (name it)

Would you be willing to place a deposit before the pressing (perhaps
$10) in return for a discount when the CDs become available? [YN]

Are you a member of Usenix? [YN]

Are you a member of Sun User Group ? [YN]

Please send responses via *MAIL* to bjo...@ucsd.edu

Thanks,

Bruce Jones 			Graduate Program in Communication
bjo...@ucsd.edu/bitnet		University of California, San Diego
(619) 534-0417/4410		9500 Gilman Drive
FAX (619) 534-7315		La Jolla, Ca. 92093-0503