Subject: virtual consoles working.
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 91 17:00:15 PST
From: pmacdona@sol.UVic.CA (Peter MacDonald)
To: linux-activists@joker.cs.hut.fi

Hi and merry Xmas.

This note is coming to you from the virtual console of Linux.
Yep.  I have virtual consoles working under linux.

Although this is based upon Gordon Irlams minix patches, virtually
no code from there was actually used.  This is more a product of
minix's message passing kernel being so different from Linux's
unified approach than by design.  But I am trying to adapt
as much of his setterm program as possible, so that a user interface
for setting colors and the like is available.  To get around the
problem of no init/login I am using the "doshell" program
posted here earlier.  Actually, for standalone machines I
think I prefer it over getty/login.

I will post the patches to 0.11 as soon as I have tested a little
more, and had a chance to bundle it up.

I also have done all of the design and coding, but none of the
testing on a select call, adapted from Mathius Lauttiners design.
But as Proven has requested, I will probably wait until after 0.12
is out before going any further with that.  Getting a peek at your
VFS patches early, thought might help.

It's funny how things work out.  I was working on select, started
eyeing how they might interact with pty's, and realized that
virtual consoles would probably still be desirable after ptys,
as well as being easier to do.

Anyways, have a good christmas all.  I am heading to the ski slopes
so I know I'll have fun.  Hope you do to.