From: jlph7@fel.tno.nl (Joost van Lawick van Pabst)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: Linux-0.11
Date: 13 Jan 92 12:03:57 GMT

I have just got a copy of Linux-0.11 and I have a number of questions.

1] If my PC runs under Linux, is it possible to ftp, rlogin, rsh etc. to
   other UNIX machines?

2] Is it possible to run X11?

3] I have 1 40Mb harddisk with one partition. If I run mkfs, what happens?
   should I first create another partition in DOS or does mkfs sort these
   thinks out?

4] How reliable is Linux-0.11?

5] What are the differences, pro and cons compared to Minix?

Joost

Name:     Ir J van Lawick van Pabst  |  TNO Physics and Electronics Laboratory
Email:             jlph7@fel.tno.nl  |       Oude Waalsdorperweg 63, The Hague
Phone:             +31 70 326 42 21  |         PO Box 96864, 2509 JG The Hague
Fax:               +31 70 328 09 61  |                         The Netherlands

>   I have just got a copy of Linux-0.11 and I have a number of questions.
>
>   1] If my PC runs under Linux, is it possible to ftp, rlogin, rsh etc. to
>      other UNIX machines?

No, not until ethernet, etc. support is added.

>   2] Is it possible to run X11?

Not yet.

>   3] I have 1 40Mb harddisk with one partition. If I run mkfs, what happens?
>      should I first create another partition in DOS or does mkfs sort these
>      thinks out?

If you run mkfs you will have an empty 40Mb Linux (currently the same fs as
Minix) file system.  You should make at least one partition (using dos fdisk
or some better partition tool) for each operating system that you want to
run from your hard disk.

>   4] How reliable is Linux-0.11?

Pretty good for a beta version of an operating system that's apparently
only a few months old.  There are small bugs in the current version and the
operating system does not yet have every desired service available.  It is
mostly useful, in its current state, for people who are willing to work on
porting code, or writing new code.

>   5] What are the differences, pro and cons compared to Minix?

Con:
- Linux is not as mature as Minix, there is less working software right now.
- Linux vers 0.11 doesn't even have login yet, you are root all the time.
- Linux will only work on 386 and 486 processors.
- Linux needs 2M of memory just to run, 4M to be useful.
- Linux is a more traditional unix kernel, it doesn't use message passing.

Pro:
- Linux is free, and freely distributable.
- Linux has some advanced features such as:
  - Memory paging with copy-on-write
  - Demand loading of executables
  - Page sharing of executables
  - Multi-threaded file system
- The next version (still beta) due out this month will have job control and
  virtual memory, virtual consoles and psuedo-ttys.
- Linux is a more traditional unix kernel, it doesn't use message passing.

--
p-----------------------------------------------------------------------------q
| Robert H. Duncan                             |                              |

>I have just got a copy of Linux-0.11 and I have a number of questions.
>
>1] If my PC runs under Linux, is it possible to ftp, rlogin, rsh etc. to
>   other UNIX machines?
>2] Is it possible to run X11?

Once SLIP and the Xserver are ported.

>3] I have 1 40Mb harddisk with one partition. If I run mkfs, what happens?
>   should I first create another partition in DOS or does mkfs sort these
>   thinks out?

You create a partition under DOS or using your favorite partitioning
software or a sector editor on the partition table.  You then run
mkfs with that device specified as the "target"

>4] How reliable is Linux-0.11?

fairly.  .12 should be out within days, fixing some bugs,
adding the patches and new goodies people added to .11,
and will have swapping to disk.

>5] What are the differences, pro and cons compared to Minix?

Pros:

This is a full blown 386 Unix, not a toy.  Full 32 bits, not
segmented.

64M (That's Megabyte, as in 1024K) per process limit .
Memory protection.
Virtual memory operations, including shared copy on write
pages, demmand loading, and soon page swapping.
Nearly 100% POSIX and SYSV compatable.  This means many "ports" are
as easy as typing make.

Free, with free source.

User/hacker supplied modifications are included in the next release.
These have included job control, virtual consoles, etc, and in the
future goodies like SCSI support will be added.

Cons:
Linux IS still under development, Minix is a finished product.

>Name:     Ir J van Lawick van Pabst  |  TNO Physics and Electronics Laboratory
>Email:             jlph7@fel.tno.nl  |       Oude Waalsdorperweg 63, The Hague
>Phone:             +31 70 326 42 21  |         PO Box 96864, 2509 JG The Hague
>Fax:               +31 70 328 09 61  |                         The Netherlands

>>I have just got a copy of Linux-0.11 and I have a number of questions.
>>
>>1] If my PC runs under Linux, is it possible to ftp, rlogin, rsh etc. to
>>   other UNIX machines?
>>2] Is it possible to run X11?

>Once SLIP and the Xserver are ported.

>>4] How reliable is Linux-0.11?

>fairly.  .12 should be out within days, fixing some bugs,
>adding the patches and new goodies people added to .11,
>and will have swapping to disk.

>>5] What are the differences, pro and cons compared to Minix?
>>

>Pros:

>This is a full blown 386 Unix, not a toy.  Full 32 bits, not
>segmented.

>64M (That's Megabyte, as in 1024K) per process limit .
>Memory protection.
>Virtual memory operations, including shared copy on write
>pages, demmand loading, and soon page swapping.
>Nearly 100% POSIX and SYSV compatable.  This means many "ports" are
>as easy as typing make.

>Free, with free source.

>User/hacker supplied modifications are included in the next release.
>These have included job control, virtual consoles, etc, and in the
>future goodies like SCSI support will be added.

>Cons:
>Linux IS still under development, Minix is a finished product.

>>Name:     Ir J van Lawick van Pabst  |  TNO Physics and Electronics Laboratory
>>Email:             jlph7@fel.tno.nl  |       Oude Waalsdorperweg 63, The Hague
>>Phone:             +31 70 326 42 21  |         PO Box 96864, 2509 JG The Hague
>>Fax:               +31 70 328 09 61  |                         The Netherlands

what are the chances linux will be ported to macintosh?

thanks.

| martin sulkanen      ][ internet: sulkanen@xanth.msfc.nasa.gov  |
| es 65                ][ span:     ssl::sulkanen                 |
| nasa/msfc            ][ voice:    205/544-5823                  |
| huntsville, al 35812 ][ institute for troutphysics              |