From: rjohnbob@there.austin.ibm.com (John Harvey)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: compiling minix commands source on linux
Date: 21 Jan 92 19:03:25 GMT

Hi all,

I was wondering what the legal point of view is on compiling minix commands
on linux, and then later putting the entire source out on a linux archive.
Commands like tty.c and date.c seem to compile ok.  But is it a no-no to
copy the source to a linux archive because it came on the minix diskettes?

-john
--
john harvey    JOHNBOB at AUSVMQ    I don't speak for my employer.
johnbob@innerdoor.austin.ibm.com    johnbob@there.austin.ibm.com

>I was wondering what the legal point of view is on compiling minix commands
>on linux, and then later putting the entire source out on a linux archive.
>Commands like tty.c and date.c seem to compile ok.  But is it a no-no to
>copy the source to a linux archive because it came on the minix
>diskettes?

Yes, this is a no-no.  Minix is copyrighted.  Linux is copyrighted, but
freely redistributable.  This is not the case with Minix.  Even putting
the binaries of Minix- or AT&T- derived sources is illegal, without
explicit permission from the copyright holders.

: I was wondering what the legal point of view is on compiling minix commands
: on linux, and then later putting the entire source out on a linux archive.

	Not a good idea. Minux is a copyrighted commercial product.

: Commands like tty.c and date.c seem to compile ok.  But is it a no-no to
: copy the source to a linux archive because it came on the minix diskettes?

	ast would not like it. We would not like it .. (we have
	then something common with ast ;-)

:   -john

	arl