From: poe@daimi.aau.dk (Peter Orbaek)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: init/getty/login announcement
Date: 15 Feb 92 14:28:13 GMT

I have just ftp'ed my package of init/getty/login for Linux to:

	ftp.daimi.aau.dk	file: /pub/Linux-source/poeigl.tar.Z
	nic.funet.fi		file: /pub/OS/Linux/incoming/poeigl.tar.Z

There are actually 2 inits, namely a hacked version of qpl-init, but it
doesn't work very well, and a more SysV like init that I wrote myself. It
works very well for me.

The getty program is a port of agetty posted to comp.sources.misc.

The login program is a port of BSD login first to HPUX then to Linux.

For init to work really well you should patch your kernel to run init as
process 1 instead of /etc/rc. But you can test it without that patch.

There's even a README file this time. :-)

The package still contains the complete UFC code, plus who, last and hostname
utils.

Try it, and let me know what you think.

I hope this will be in 0.13...

As an aside: I wrote about a bug in the kernel concering the check in
check_char_dev() in fs/open.c of tty->session == 0. As an experiment I removed
that check and built a new kernel, and the problems disappeared!

I doubt that this is a good way to solve it though.

   - Peter (poe@daimi.aau.dk)

--
Peter Orbaek ----------------- poe@daimi.aau.dk  |      ///
Hasle Ringvej 122, DK-8200 Aarhus N, DENMARK     |     ///
                                                 | \\\///
"Strong typing is for people with weak memories" |  \XX/

From: poe@daimi.aau.dk (Peter Orbaek)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Announcement: init/getty/login V1.1
Date: 20 Feb 92 15:59:26 GMT

I just uploaded my latest version of my init/getty/login suite
for linux (also known as poeigl).

This version fixes all known bugs (for me that is), and features additional
code for a getlogin(3) call, a write(1) and wall(1) command.

Hopefully, Linus sees this and puts it into 0.13.

Ftp to

	ftp.daimi.aau.dk

and get (in binary mode) the file

	pub/Linux-source/poeigl-1.1.tar.Z

Thanks for all the responses, that helped me find and fix the most glaring
bugs in the previous release.

   - Peter. (poe@daimi.aau.dk)

PS. If there aren't found too many bugs in this release, I will let the code
alone for maybe a month or so, so the last bugs have time to filter out.

From: poe@daimi.aau.dk (Peter Orbaek)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
Subject: Announcement: SYSV init, shutdown, last, and more...
Date: 22 Apr 92 06:49:40 GMT

I just put

	/pub/Linux-source/admutil-1.0.tar.Z

on

	ftp.daimi.aau.dk (130.225.16.27)

It includes source for a better last(1) and setgrp(1) both by Michael Haardt,
plus a SYSV compatible init(8) program with runlevels and all.

This init was written by Miquel van Smoorenburg for Minix, and I ported it to
Linux with little effort.

There's also a shutdown(8) program as well as passwd(1) and chsh(1).

You should be able to build the binaries with both gcc 1.40 and gcc 2.1.
Follow the instructions in the Makefile and README.

Be warned that the init program is fairly untested, and I don't use it myself.
It's very easy to lock your self out of the machine if you do something wrong
with init and the new inittab format, so be sure you know what you are doing
before you install the new init.

There's also a problem with putpwent(3) in the older versions of libc, and if
you don't fix this or use the newest gcc 2.1 libc (later than 10-Apr-92) then
chsh and passwd will trash the /etc/passwd file and make it hard to log into
the machine afterwards.

	- Peter (poe@daimi.aau.dk)

From: poe@daimi.aau.dk (Peter Orbaek)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
Subject: Announcement: SysV compatible init, a new last(1) and more
Date: 8 Jun 92 16:04:39 GMT

The admutil-1.0.tar.Z package which includes this has been available
for some time now, but I keep getting mail from people who miss features
that are already in that package, so maybe my first announcement didn't
make it everywhere.

The admutil-1.0 package includes the following:

* setgrp - like su(1) but sets the group id only.

* shutdown - shuts down the system, putting correct entries into wtmp
	and provides for timed shutdowns.

* passwd - changes passwords

* chsh - changes ones shell

* last - an improved last(1) command

* init - a Sys V compatible init(8) with run-levels and all, but not tested
	very much.

A bug in some versions of libc makes passwd and chsh garble the passwd file,
so be careful.

asm1@ukc.ac.uk mailed me and asked for a lastlogin feature in the login
program.

Most of the code was already in login.c so here is a small patch to login.c
from the poeigl-1.2.tar.Z package:

------------- cut here ------------
*** login.c~    Wed Feb 26 22:58:19 1992
--- login.c     Mon Jun  8 17:47:56 1992
***************
*** 770,778 ****
        struct lastlog ll;
        int fd;
        char *ctime();
! #ifdef linux
!       return;
! #endif
        if ((fd = open(_PATH_LASTLOG, O_RDWR, 0)) >= 0) {
                (void)lseek(fd, (off_t)pwd->pw_uid * sizeof(ll), L_SET);
                if (!quiet) {
--- 770,776 ----
        struct lastlog ll;
        int fd;
        char *ctime();
!
        if ((fd = open(_PATH_LASTLOG, O_RDWR, 0)) >= 0) {
                (void)lseek(fd, (off_t)pwd->pw_uid * sizeof(ll), L_SET);
                if (!quiet) {
------------ cut here -------------

The package can be ftp'ed from:

	ftp.daimi.aau.dk:/pub/Linux-source/admutil-1.0.tar.Z

The IP number is 130.225.16.27

Or you can get it from:

	nic.funet.fi:/pub/OS/Linux/tools/admutil-1.0.tar.Z

From: poe@daimi.aau.dk (Peter Orbaek)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
Subject: Announcement: poeigl 1.4 & admutils 1.1
Date: 5 Jul 92 12:03:14 GMT

I have just uploaded these two packages

	admutil-1.1.tar.Z
	poeigl-1.4.tar.Z

to the following archives:

	nic.funet.fi:/pub/OS/Linux/incoming
	banjo.concert.net:/pub/Linux/Incoming
	tsx-11.mit.edu:/incoming
	ftp.daimi.aau.dk:/pub/Linux-source

The poeigl-1.4 package contains source for init, getty, and login and a few
other small utilities. The main change since 1.3 has been the addition of
a SIGINT handler to init that will gently reboot the machine when one presses
Ctrl-Alt-Del.

The admutil-1.1 package contains source for shutdown, su, chsh, passwd, and
a System V compatible init. Several small changes and additions have been
made since 1.0, most notably the addition of a new su(1) program, and
the shutdown source has been cleaned up a bit.

Both packages compile cleanly with gcc 2.2.2 and run under Linux 0.96b-PL2.

I hope the maintainers of the archives see this message and moves the
packages into their proper directories.

	- Peter.

From: poe@daimi.aau.dk (Peter Orbaek)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
Subject: Announcement: poeigl 1.5 and admutils 1.2 available
Date: 15 Aug 92 12:27:03 GMT

This is an announcement of the availability of version 1.5 of the poeigl
package, and version 1.2 of the admutil package.

Both of the new packages just contains bugfixed versions of the programs
in the previous packages, and no new features have been added.

Acknowledgements:
-----------------
d88-jwn@nada.kth.se made me avare of a fault in passwd.c concerning digits
in passwords.

hyvatti@cc.helsinki.fi (Jaakko Hyvatti) provided a fix for a nasty bug in
login.c, concerning unknown usernames and secure terminals.

I forgot who made me avare of the fact that shutdown would hang if /etc/utmp
somehow was corrupted. This should not happen anymore.

As always, the packages contains only sourcecode. The binaries can be built
under Linux 0.97 or later with at least gcc-2.2.2

To those that do not already know, the poeigl package contains:

	init, getty, login, hostname, mesg, users, who, write

and admutils contains:

	chsh, ctrlaltdel, init, last, newgrp, passwd, shutdown, reboot,
	halt, su

I have put the packages out for anon ftp at:

	ftp.daimi.aau.dk:/pub/Linux-source
	tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/< whereever tytso puts them>
	nic.funet.fi:/pub/OS/Linux/< whereever arl puts them>

	- Peter. < poe@daimi.aau.dk>

From: poe@daimi.aau.dk (Peter Orbaek)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
Subject: poeigl-1.6 and admutil-1.3 available
Date: 30 Aug 92 13:38:38 GMT

I just uploaded poeigl-1.6.tar.Z and admutil-1.3.tar.Z to nic.funet.fi
and tsx-11.

Login now uses the new vhangup() syscall to prevent others from snooping
at the tty for passwords and other goodies.

There is also a new getpass() routine based upon some BSD code, as it has
become evident that the version that I contributed to libc, doesn't work
with telnet over TCP/IP. I hope the new version works better, but I haven't
been able to test it, because I haven't got a TCP/IP kernel.

The passwd program is changed a little to allow passwords with only lowercase
letters when there is at least one special character or digit in it.
It also explicitly prevents the use of ones username as password.

The shutdown program now tries even harder to avoid getting stuck when
/etc/utmp is corrupted.

Acknowledgements:
Ross Biro < bir7@leland.stanford.edu> made me avare of the vhangup() call.

Johan W}hlin < d88-jwn@nada.kth.se> provided the fix for passwd.c

My thanks to both of them.

As always, the packages contains only sourcecode. The binaries can be built
under Linux 0.97P1+ or later with at least gcc-2.2.2