From linux Mon Feb 17 09:39:45 1992
Subject: Seen in comp.os.minix
To: linux-standards@concert.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 92 9:38:58 EST
From: Alan B Clegg <abc@concert.net>
Sender: abc@concert.net

Just a bit of humor to lighten your day:

===
Snipped from someone's signature:

LINUXCY, n.     Mental derangement caused by inability to appreciate another's
                need for speed and pursuit of happiness, leading to excessive
                flaming and waste of bandwidth !
===

BTW:  Unless there are *STRONG* complaints, I am going to post "Draft 2" of
	the Directory Standards Document to alt.os.linux, and linux-activists
	on Wednesday, February 19.

	I would like to release it as "Directory Standards Document 1.0" unless
	there sre other ideas for a rational name..  (It will include the
	header about it being completely voluntary, so we won't step on any
	toes.)

-abc
--
abc@concert.net				Alan Clegg - Network Programmer
KD4JML (just my luck!)			MCNC -- Center for Communications

In the also unforgettable words of Bruce Varney
>In the unforgettable words of  Alan B Clegg:
>->
>->Just a bit of humor to lighten your day:
>->
>->BTW:  Unless there are *STRONG* complaints, I am going to post "Draft 2" of
>->	the Directory Standards Document to alt.os.linux, and linux-activists
>->	on Wednesday, February 19.

>Admin binaries should be in /etc. That is my only complaint, and it
>is a *STRONG* one.
>->
Strongly agreed that admin binaries should be in /etc, including, but not
limited to /etc/init. I also have strong feelings about this. I seem to
remember a reference to /usr/uucp, too, rather than to /usr/lib/uucp. I
would prefer the /usr/lib/uucp /usr/spool/uucp pair, again, pretty strong
feelings...

The U**X rationale for the distribution of files between /etc, /bin, /usr/bin,
/lib, and /usr/lib weren't bad. I feel, however, that /usr/spool/cron and
/usr/lib/cron are misused in a "normal" U**X environment. It seems that
/usr/lib/cron should be used for the tables and definitions and such,
and that /usr/spool/cron should be used for the logs. Oh, well. Maybe the
tables and such would have been better in /etc/cron.d, analogous to /etc/rc.d,
/etc/rc0.d, and the like.
--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Optigfx.COM  ucsd!optigfx!mrm    +1 619 292 6060 x 265
Optigraphics Corporation  9339 Carroll Park Drive  San Diego, CA  92121

From linux-standards-request@concert.net Wed Feb 19 23:11:07 1992
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 92 23:10:50 -0500
From: eichin@ATHENA.MIT.EDU ("Mark W. Eichin")
To: optigfx!optisun17!mrm@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: linux-standards@concert.net

A few people are...
>>> Strongly agreed that admin binaries should be in /etc, including, but not
	Sorry... either have binaries there, or config files -- *Not*
both. The BSD 4.4 model (which I think is what one of the draft posix
standards is related to, if not derived from) has config files in /etc
and executables in /usr/etc/ (DEC Ultrix and SunOS have already
adopted this.) Having executables in /etc may be "traditional", but
that's just because it is a traditional mistake...
				_Mark_ <eichin@athena.mit.edu>
				MIT Student Information Processing Board

From linux-standards-request@banjo.concert.net Thu Feb 20 12:41:25 1992
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 92 12:40:14 -0500
From: tytso@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Theodore Ts'o)
To: dws@engr.uark.edu
Cc: linux-standards@concert.net
Address: 1 Amherst St., Cambridge, MA 02139
Phone: (617) 253-8091

	   Sorry... either have binaries there, or config files -- *Not*
   both. The BSD 4.4 model (which I think is what one of the draft posix
   standards is related to, if not derived from) has config files in /etc
   and executables in /usr/etc/ (DEC Ultrix and SunOS have already
   adopted this.) Having executables in /etc may be "traditional", but
   that's just because it is a traditional mistake...

No, that's not the BSD 4.4 model; they have /sbin for the admin
binaries.  The problem is that you need to start /usr/etc/init before
/usr is mounted....

Look, this seems to be going nowhere.  We can't just blindly point and
say look!  BSD 4.3 did it this way!  Sun OS did it that way!  The only
reason why we were doing this was that we don't want to screw users
who have always been used to finding programs in particular places
(/etc/mount, /bin/grep, /bin/ed, etc., etc.).  But aside from that, we
need to architect something that works as a cohesive whole.

Putting init in /usr/etc when it was previously assumed that /usr might
be a mounted partition, all in the name of "Horray for our side!" is
going to result in a camel --- a horse designed by a committee.  Before
we get all wrapped up in aesthetics, let's come up with a cohesive
document THAT WORKS.

				Slightly annoyed,

						- Ted