From: battle@cs.utk.edu (David Battle)
Subject: Distribution Service
Date: 21 Mar 92 18:27:17 GMT

I am toying with the idea of providing a distribution service for Linux.
My motivation is to make enough money so that I can work full time on Linux,
hopefully improving and extending it in the process.

I would appreciate feedback from people who think this is a *Bad* idea as
well as those who think it is a *Good* idea.  Please see the QUESTIONS below.

Here is my thinking:

For a small fee I would provide the following:

        * A copy of the Linux Boot and Root disks with the Latest Release

        * A Disk with Patches which have been Posted to the Net

        * Optional Software disks, with Dependencies clearly marked

        * Printed Introduction and Installation Instructions

        * 2nd Day Air or Overnight shipping (Overnight costing extra) (US only)

        * A telephone support line which you can call for help with Linux

        * A BBS and/or FTP site where you can pick up Patches and New Releases

You would of course be free to copy and re-distribute any and all the material
provided if you so chose.

In the event that this distribution service was an overwhelming success,
excess profits would be turned back into Linux Research and Development,
buying new machines, hiring employees, supporting a connection to the
Internet, advertising to attract more potential Linux hackers, making the
BBS and Support Line Toll Free, etc.

                                QUESTIONS

I would like to ask you the following questions, please send answers to
battle@cs.utk.edu:

1. Do you think this service would be useful?

2. Can you think of anything additional which could be provided which would
make you more likely to be interested in such a service?

3. Is there some media other than 3.5" diskettes which would be preferable
or more universally acceptable?

4. What do you think would be a reasonable price for this service, considering
media, packaging, and shipment costs and the time required to prepare a
distribution?

5. Do you think people would be willing to pay this price?

6. Do you think I would have any time left to hack on Linux?  Do you think
I would make enough to support myself?  Will I get tired of doing this?

7. Do you have any other comments which you would like to make about this idea?

Thank you all for any feedback you can provide,
                                                -David L. Battle
                                                battle@cs.utk.edu