From: battle@cs.utk.edu (David Battle)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Linux in the spirit of the GNU General Public Liscense?
Date: 23 Mar 92 21:15:30 GMT

I have been overwhelmed with the *positive* responses through email to
my offer to provide distribution and support for Linux from those who would
like to have a solid distribution of Linux to play with.  One person (an
obviously-knowledgeable administrator of a largeish network of Unix
workstations) even suggested that this might be worth as much at US$150!!!
This is about 3 times the *maximum* amount I would consider charging!

Thanks to all who responded for your comments.

However, I was astounded at the near-hostile responses I received from
some of the people working on development of Linux (Linus has NOT commented).

I think that the way these developers feel is blasphemy to the GNU GPL.  The
GPL is clearly set up to allow anyone who wants to to provide distribution and
support services *and make a reasonable profit at it* while providing the
users with the assurance of the availability of source code and the right
to make copies.  I'm sure Stallman is happy to have Cygnus Support around to
take some of the hassle of distribution and support off his shoulders.  I'm
sure he's not at all upset that they aren't losing their shirts at it.  In
fact, I'll bet he would be tickled pink if they got filthy rich; it would
just go to show that his philosophy about freely distributable software is
economically viable.

Not so for the Linux developers I've heard from so far.  Unless I'm willing to
contribute my time for free (or at least absurdly cheap) they won't be happy
with me distributing and providing technical support for Linux, notwithstanding
my willingness to contribute back any improvements and/or extensions I make.

Given this, I don't think it is a good idea for me to try to provide this
service.  I would need cooperation (or at least tolerance) from other Linux
developers in order to provide this service effectively, and that doesn't seem
to be forthcoming.

My apologies to those who still have no way of easily and cheaply getting
a complete, timely, and solid distribution of Linux with all the sundry
source and utilities.

My pity on those misguided developers who seem to think that a vow of poverty
is needed from any potential development/distribution/support provider.  If
this attitude becomes prevalent among Linux developers, my prediction is
Linux will die.  It will quickly be replaced by something that people can
make a living developing/distributing/supporting; most likely BSD or GNU.

I would like to know how Linus feels about the distribution/support
situation.  I imagine his feelings would be much more positive.

-David L. Battle
battle@cs.utk.edu