Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
From: pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada)
Subject: Wow! X is great!
Date: Thu, 7 May 1992 16:38:54 GMT
              at Oracle Corporation.  The opinions expressed are those
              of the user and not necessarily those of Oracle.

Many thanks to Thomas Roell and OBZ for their tremendous effort in
getting X11R5 up on the 386, and espeialliy Linux.  This is a serious
credibility builder for linux.

a serious bug.  If I pull down the xterm middle menu (control +
middlebutton (both buttons)) my screen gets shifted ~30% with the
right side wrapping to the left side.  wierd.

is libobz.a going to be part of the 0.96 release?  it's missing from
the pre 96 + X patches release, making building any X apps impossible.

Following up on my note from yesterday oncerning "lame" SVGA cards, I
must comment.  Yesterday,  I evaluated two video cards, the orchid
prodesigner IIs, and the Diamond Speedstar+, both running about $170 +
tax.  Performance was *much* better then my trident 8900 chipset card.
Scrolling under windows 3.1 is actually accepable, and performance
under X is great.

I really think it's worth upgrading to a better card, just for the
performance benefits.   my $0.02.

-Paul
--

Paul Nakada  |  Oracle Corporation  |  pnakada@oracle.com