Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
From: Thomas Dunbar <tdun...@vttcf.cc.vt.edu>
Subject: what's the kernel need for v 1.0
Sender: dae...@athena.mit.edu (Mr Background)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1992 20:34:10 GMT

What is expected in the kernel in v. .97 ... 1.0?  Back in v .11, i felt i
knew more-or-less what was going to be done. Now, other than stablization of
GCC, X and the kernel, what's needed?  Other than tcp/ip, which i don't care
much about myself (but who IS working on this?), what's missing?
   i'd like to see a version number soon that suggests Linux, as a whole,
is no longer in beta-test.

>What is expected in the kernel in v. .97 ... 1.0?  Back in v .11, i felt i
>knew more-or-less what was going to be done. Now, other than stablization of
>GCC, X and the kernel, what's needed?  Other than tcp/ip, which i don't care
>much about myself (but who IS working on this?), what's missing?
>   i'd like to see a version number soon that suggests Linux, as a whole,
>is no longer in beta-test.

How about finished VFS layer (or is it already?)
shared memory
semaphores
ipc messages
file and memory locks
named pipes
STREAMS
screen mapping with page faults on bank crossing (video card dependant :-(
AF_INET sockets
Any fs besides minix

These are not really required for Linux to be considered out of beta (maybe
just the fs improvements)

What Linux NEEDS is a stable GCC (one that does not evolvo every 2 days) and
an easy method of updated shared libs (jump tables or whatever)

Any volunteers :-)

Zeyd

>>What is expected in the kernel in v. .97 ... 1.0?  Back in v .11, i felt i
>>knew more-or-less what was going to be done. Now, other than stablization of
>>GCC, X and the kernel, what's needed?  Other than tcp/ip, which i don't care
>>much about myself (but who IS working on this?), what's missing?
>>   i'd like to see a version number soon that suggests Linux, as a whole,
>>is no longer in beta-test.

Ok, I already answered tdunbar by mail, but in case others are
interested:

>How about finished VFS layer (or is it already?)

The vfs layer is already pretty finished: there should be no more big
rewrites as in the 0.95-0.96 diffs.  Tweaking etc will naturally go on
(as with any other kernel feature), but it's mostly there.

>shared memory
>semaphores
>ipc messages

I'd like these eventually, and I might try to implement them during the
summer, but no promises. In any case these certainly aren't required for
a 1.0 version.

>file and memory locks

Well... I'm not too hot about file locking, but we'll see.

>named pipes

This is already available as a patch. I haven't applied it yet, but I
will as soon as the author feels it's ready (and I agree).

>STREAMS
>screen mapping with page faults on bank crossing (video card dependant :-(
>AF_INET sockets

Not me. Hopefully somebody else implements it so cleanly that I cannot
do other than accept it :-)

>Any fs besides minix

Definitely. This is one of the points keeping linux beta. 0.97 should
contain it.

>What Linux NEEDS is a stable GCC (one that does not evolvo every 2 days) and
>an easy method of updated shared libs (jump tables or whatever)

Yes.  And easier installation.  And manuals/guides/whetever.  I know I
have been hoping to make 1.0 available for a long time - right now I
expect it to be here by the end of summer.  By that time gcc and the
libraries should have stabilized, and hopefully the ABC-release or
similar is ready.

		Linus