Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
From: erc@unislc.uucp (Ed Carp)
Subject: mailpak.tar on tsx-11
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1992 01:07:56 GMT

As promised, I've uploaded mailpak.tar to tsx-11.mit.edu in /incoming.
Here's the README.first.linux for the package:
This is release 1.0 of my email package.  It includes:

1.	elm2.3 patch level 11 sources, ready to compile with gcc 2.2.2.
2.	taylor-uucp, patch level 1.03a, ready to compile, with sample
	Systems, Devices, and Permissions files.
3.	mail, Emmett Gray's mailer (with extensive hacks by me).
4.	smail3, with a simple paths file.  You don't really need smail3, but
	I've included it for those who want such things.
5.	Release 1.1.f of uustatus, a realtime uucp status monitor.  Run it
	in a virtual console and fire up uucp.

Watch comp.os.linux for announcements on updates, etc.

-- Ed Carp
   erc@apple.com

INSTRUCTIONS:

To compile:

make a user 'uucp' in /etc/passwd.  THIS IS IMPORTANT!
cd uucp
more -c README.linux
cp samples/* /usr/lib/uucp
chmod 600 /usr/lib/uucp/*
chown uucp /usr/lib/uucp/*
make;make install
cd ../../elm2.3
more -c README.linux
sh Configure
make all
chmod 2755 bin/elm
chgrp mail bin/elm
mv bin/* /usr/local/bin
cd ../uustatus
make uustatus
mv uustatus /usr/local/bin
# if you want to use my mailer...
cd ../mail
make
mv mail /bin/mail
ln /bin/mail /bin/rmail
# else do this:
cd smail3
make
(then follow the directions in Install)

Install smail3, and use my mailer for your local mailer.

Edit Devices, Permissions, and Systems in /usr/lib/uucp to suit.
Edit (or build) /usr/lib/uucp/paths.  I dn't include pathalias
in this package - you can get it from ftp.uu.net.  If enough people
complain, I'll include it in the next release.

** KNOWN BUGS **

I suggest you use elm as your high-level transport mechanism, and leave
/bin/mail alone.

elm sometimes has trouble restoring premissions for mailboxes.

Occasionally uux bombs mailing things out with a "getcwd: No such file".
This seems to be a transient problem.  Do a "sync" and retry.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG		erc@apple.com	<-- preferred email address!
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."  - Henry David Thoreau