Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
From: miquels@htsa.aha.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Subject: Re: sigblock, sigpause...
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1992 21:09:33 GMT

In article <14p8neINNpr0@matt.ksu.ksu.edu> kxb@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Karl Buck) writes:
>Are sigblock and sigpause implemented in the latest version of the
>compiler and/or kernel?
>--
>Karl Buck         O, Freddled Gruntbuggly
>Grain Marketing   Thy Nicturations are to me
>Research Lab      As Plurdled Gabbleblotchits
>(913)776-2745	  On a lurgid bee.       -- Chief Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz

#define sigblock(what) sigsetmask(siggetmask()|(what))
#define sigpause(what) sigsuspend(&what)

That's all.. (Could someone put this in the official  ? )

Mike.

--
%     Miquel van Smoorenburg, Baljuwstraat 20, 2461SL Langeraar, Holland.     %
%   miquels@htsa.aha.nl (school)       miquels@drinkel.nl.mugnet.org (home)   %

|> >Are sigblock and sigpause implemented in the latest version of the
|> >compiler and/or kernel?
|> >--
|> >Karl Buck         O, Freddled Gruntbuggly
|> >Grain Marketing   Thy Nicturations are to me
|> >Research Lab      As Plurdled Gabbleblotchits
|> >(913)776-2745	  On a lurgid bee.       -- Chief Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
|>
|> #define sigblock(what) sigsetmask(siggetmask()|(what))
|> #define sigpause(what) sigsuspend(&what)

They are wrong. How about

sigpause (sigmask(SIGUSER1));

|> That's all.. (Could someone put this in the official  ? )

sigblock/sigpause are from BSD. Linux uses POSIX, which can do the equivalent
thing. You just have to use POSIX signals. THERE ARE NO ONE TO ONE CONVERSIONS.
I take this out of zsh port.

-----------------
#ifdef _POSIX_SOURCE
#define blockchld()  {  sigset_t set; \
                        sigemptyset (&set); \
                        sigaddset (&set, SIGCHLD); \
                        sigprocmask (SIG_BLOCK, &set, (sigset_t *)NULL); }
#define unblockchld() { sigset_t set; \
                        sigemptyset (&set); \
                        sigprocmask (SIG_SETMASK, &set, (sigset_t *)NULL); }
#define chldsuspend() { sigset_t set; \
                        sigemptyset (&set); \
                        sigsuspend (&set);}
#else
#define blockchld() sigblock(sigmask(SIGCHLD))
#define unblockchld() sigsetmask(0)
#define chldsuspend() sigpause(0)
#endif

Please get a book on POSIX (any suggestions?) That is a simple one. Sometimes,
you need more than that. Again POSIX can do most but not all BSD signals with
very different signal functions.

--
H.J.
Gcc/libc maintainer for Linux.