From: tytso@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Theodore Ts'o)
Subject: New files on TSX-11
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1992 05:20:33 GMT

Just a couple of items, and a few notes.

1)  The ftpd on TSX-11 has been upgraded so that it is using the
wuarchive version of FTPD.  What this means is that you get an entire
directory by saying "get directory.tar"; also, if you say "get
filename.Z", it will automatically compress the file filename and send
it back to you as filename.Z

2)  When you upload a package, and something identical or similar is
already on TSX-11, *PLEASE* include in your mail to ftp-linux a quick
note about why the version you uploaded is better than the one already
on tsx-11, or how they're different, or why I should take your version
instead of the one we already have.  It makes things a lot easier when
we don't have to unpack an already existing "zip" tar file to compare it
against the version of "zip" which someone just recently uploaded, to
see what the differences are....

3) What with banjo.concert.net going away soon, I will try to improve my
response time to attending to things sent to ftp-linux.  If you want
something released on an emergency basis, for whatever reason, please
add a CC: to the message that mentions "tytso@mit.edu" explicitly, and
tell me why you want it done ASAP.

Anyway, here are the new files:

/pub/linux/images/rootimage-0.97.Z
/pub/linux/images/CHANGES-0.97-root
        Uploaded by Jim Winstead, Jr  (jwinstea@jarthur.Claremont.EDU)

        The 0.97 Root image diskette.  CHANGES-0.97-root explains the
        differences between the 0.97 root image and the 0.96 root image.

/pub/linux/patches/linux-0.97-patch1.Z
        Patch #1 to Linux 0.97

/pub/linux/patches/kernel-profile.tar.Z
        The kernel profiler which Linus posted to comp.os.linux.

/pub/linux/sources/system/bin86.tar.Z
        Fetched from banjo.concert.net's archives.  The elusive sources
        to the 16-bit assmebler that is needed to compile the boot
        blocks.

                                                - Ted