Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
From: sync...@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Synchem proj acct)
Subject: VERY DETAILED history of Linux in its early days
Sender: use...@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Usenet poster)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1992 00:54:43 GMT

[Why is it always seem to be the case that whenever I post news,
our news system breaks?  Anyhow, this is my 3rd attempt, I hope this
goes out.]

Partly due to my curiosity on how Linux kernel works at the inner most
and partly due to my wish to find out the kind of things
one has to decide when writing an OS from scratch, I wonder if some
kind soul can answer the following for me:

1. Does anyone still have a copy of Linux 0.01, or is it 0.11,
  when all Linux does was switching two processes printing AAAA, BBBB...?
  Or some very earliest version of Linux?
2. An as detailed as possible description of things that are gradually
  added to  Linux since when it can only print AAAA, BBBB?  And the design
  decisions?  I guess up detailed descriptions would be needed for only
  up to 0.12.  Things after that can most likely be found in textbooks.
3. What are the considerations of in deciding what goes into kernel
   and user space?

I guess what I'm looking for are concrete details,
using Linux and 386 as examples, not those things one can find in textbooks.
I hope this would be a start of documenting Linux for those of us aspiring OS
writing novices.

- Chyouhwa
  sync...@cs.sunysb.edu