From: mal11@po.CWRU.Edu (Matthew A. Lewis)
Crossposted-To: comp.graphics.animation
Subject: multiple file output for frames of animation with raytrace
Date: 26 Oct 92 12:36:43 GMT

well....animation under X/Linux is real.....and fast!!!!!!
I'm using raytrace and ImageMagick. A little tricking getting
from the rle to miff format though. Had to go through gif using xv.

Anyone know how to get rayshade to output seperate files for each frame,
or how to view later frames in the single output file?? XV only
reads the 1st.

Or better yet, how about a filter for rle to miff, or even a rle
animator??????????? :)

Thanx

--
maThiEu a. LeWis        This sentnce has threee errors.
cyber-mercenary

>well....animation under X/Linux is real.....and fast!!!!!!
>I'm using raytrace and ImageMagick. A little tricking getting
>from the rle to miff format though. Had to go through gif using xv.
>
>Anyone know how to get rayshade to output seperate files for each frame,
>or how to view later frames in the single output file?? XV only
>reads the 1st.
>
>Or better yet, how about a filter for rle to miff, or even a rle
>animator??????????? :)

ImageMagick reads RLE images.  Perhaps you have an older version.  Look
for ImageMagick 2.0 as contrib/ImageMagick.tar.Z on export.lcs.mit.edu.

I also have reduced the memory requirements of `animate' by a factor of 5.
The example animation, ImageMagick.animation.tar.Z, previously required
30mb of virtual memory.  It now requires 6.
--
cristy@dupont.com

>>Anyone know how to get rayshade to output seperate files for each frame,
>>or how to view later frames in the single output file?? XV only
>>reads the 1st.
>>
>>Or better yet, how about a filter for rle to miff, or even a rle
>>animator??????????? :)

>ImageMagick reads RLE images.  Perhaps you have an older version.  Look
>for ImageMagick 2.0 as contrib/ImageMagick.tar.Z on export.lcs.mit.edu.

some more info:

The RLE format is the principle Utah-Raster-Toolkit format. The programs
of this toolkit (as well as many other graphics-file programs) are part
of a package containing a jumptable library for reading and writing
graphics files, which I have uploaded to sunsite.unc.edu in the
directory /pub/Linux/Incoming/jumptables.

--
Rob W.W. Hooft,  Department of crystal and structural chemistry
Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research, University of Utrecht