From owner-linux-activists@joker.cs.hut.fi Thu Dec 10 04:53:41 1992
Sender: owner-linux-activists@joker.cs.hut.fi
From: aliu@chaph.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu)
To: linux-activists@joker.cs.hut.fi
Subject: Porting to amiga
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1992 08:25:34 +0200

Q: Who do you request the test kernel boot code from?

Also, I think the reason why everybody has been so quiet here is
because the EASY things have been done and starting up just seems soo
hard.  The current kernel, 0.98p6 is getting bigger and better and
there are so many things to worry about.

I think what we should do instead of start porting 0.98p6, we should
try our hand on 0.10 first.  (The first released kernel) or maybe
0.11.

There are several reasons why to do this.

For one, the size of the source tree is much smaller:
This is from the tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/attic/sources/system directory

  134568 Nov  5  1991 linux-0.10.tar.Z
   52672 Dec 16  1991 include-0.11.tar.Z
  172438 Dec 16  1991 library-0.11.tar.Z
  143365 Dec  8  1991 linux-0.11.tar.Z
  198747 Jan 14  1992 linux-0.12.tar.Z
   58309 Jan 15  1992 include-0.12.tar.Z
  216777 Mar  9  1992 linux-0.95.tar.Z
  321243 May 12  1992 linux-0.96.tar.Z
  444413 Aug  1 09:23 linux-0.97.tar.Z
  704363 Nov  9 01:34 linux-0.98.4.tar.Z

As you can see, the kernel size has been increasing, and linux0.98p6
is about 5 times bigger than 0.10.

Also, since the older kernel has less features, there are less things
to port in order to get an useable system.

I propose using 0.10 or 0.11 (I dont know what are the differences
between them) mainly because those versions do not support swapping
yet.  Trying to port a 0.98 linux is hard because you MUST have a
complete filesystem to swap and to do demand loading.

What do you guys think?  Should we start from 0.12 instead.  (That
adds swapping but doesn't have shared executables yet, I think...)

We should also find somebody willing to archive all the LInux versions
between our starting version to the current so we can upgrade
incrementally our port.

From owner-linux-activists@joker.cs.hut.fi Mon Dec 14 05:21:01 1992