		   Linux Activists Mailing List Archives

From: jgrape@coos.dartmouth.edu (Johan A. Grape)
Subject: BSD lpr/lpd and serial lw - help help help
Date: 28 Dec 92 17:03:37 GMT

Well, this thread seemed to die....  I still can't get the
daemon to print anything.

My setup:

kernel 0.99pl0 w/ tcp/ip compiled in.
apple personal laserwriter on ttys2
BSD lpr binaries from tsx-11

/usr/etc/printcap entry:
lp|local laserwriter:\
        :lp=/dev/ttys2:sd=/usr/spool/lw:\
        :br#9600:\
        :mx#0:pw#1000:\
        :sh:sf

/usr/etc/lp*  setuid root, setgid daemon
/usr/spool/lw setuid daemon, setgid daemon.

daemon is in /etc/passwd & /etc/group

/dev/ttys2 is setuid daemon  (have tried with setuid root too)

/usr/etc/inet/hosts.lpr  contains the line:
brunhilda       (my machine - don't ask)

I also have
/usr/etc/inet/hosts.equiv with
brunhilda

My problem is:  lpr spools, but the daemon never tries to print.

Does anyone have a working setup similar to this?
Help would be greatly appreciated.

regards
Johan

jgrape@coos.dartmouth.edu