From: m...@eccles.dsbc.icl.co.uk (Matthew Roderick - KID01)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
Subject: Fair Price for Linux ?
Date: 18 Jan 93 10:05:35 GMT
Sender: m...@dsbc.icl.co.uk

I've just spotted an add in a UK mag call Micro Mart (14 Januart 1993)
Page 69.

*-------*
32-bit PC Unix operating system!
Linux 0.98 base system		15 pounds
Linux 0.98 extras		19 pounds
X-Windows (X11R5) 		19 pounds
Comprehensive Linux System	45 pounds
(*These prices exclude VAT and delivery*)

Novtec Systems, 53 Exeter Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham.
Tel. 021 456 5759
Fax. 021 455 7472
*-------*

Does anyone thing 15 pounds is a fair price for 2 disks ? (base system)
or are these people making a profit from Linux ?

Is Linux VATable (Value Added Tax), does it have any value (in the eyes of the
tax man ?>!)

Any comments ?

Matthew

---
 Matthew Roderick : E.S.Team : m...@oasis.icl.co.uk || m...@dsbc.icl.co.uk
 +44 [0]782 771000 x3270  :  UNIX Centre, ICL, Stoke-on-Trent, England.
/\/\/\/\ PANIC: AC Power Fai^[

> I've just spotted an add in a UK mag call Micro Mart (14 Januart 1993)
> Page 69.

> *-------*
> 32-bit PC Unix operating system!
> Linux 0.98 base system		15 pounds
> Linux 0.98 extras		19 pounds
> X-Windows (X11R5) 		19 pounds
> Comprehensive Linux System	45 pounds
> (*These prices exclude VAT and delivery*)

> Does anyone thing 15 pounds is a fair price for 2 disks ? (base system)
> or are these people making a profit from Linux ?

Well, that advert has been running in Micro Mart for at least two
months, so I guess these folk must get enough custom for it to be
worth their while.  So, there must be people out there who think it a
fair price.

The same advert (at least in its latest incarnation) also promises
support on their distributions; I don't know the quality of that
support, but if they can do anything to help people get Linux up and
running then I reckon that the price is not all that bad.  For folk
who would otherwise have to dial a bulletin board (us UK sufferers
under British Telecom get charged extortionate local call rates, but
that's another story), being able to buy the disks pre-loaded must be
a real saving.

Regards,
 Stephen Tweedie.
---
Stephen Tweedie < s...@uk.ac.ed.dcs>   (Internet: < s...@dcs.ed.ac.uk>)
Department of Computer Science, Edinburgh University, Scotland.