Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
From: miny...@wf-rch.cirr.com (Corey Minyard)
Subject: Binary compatibility with other *nix
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1993 14:26:31 GMT

It should be theoretically possible for Linux to emulate the binary
interface of something like SVR4, etc.  Has anyone considered doing
this?  I think xenix is already available. This would give us the
"shrink wrapped" applications that some what while still preserving
the "free spirit" of Linux.  Any thoughts?

Corey

>It should be theoretically possible for Linux to emulate the binary
>interface of something like SVR4, etc.  Has anyone considered doing
>this?  I think xenix is already available. This would give us the
>"shrink wrapped" applications that some what while still preserving
>the "free spirit" of Linux.  Any thoughts?

>Corey

I think it would be great if it is possible! I have asked a similiar
question in the past and the (small) response was that Linux in not likely
to ever be binary compatible with the commercial stuff.

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades
First Year Biology

>>It should be theoretically possible for Linux to emulate the binary
>>interface of something like SVR4, etc.  Has anyone considered doing
>>this?  I think xenix is already available. This would give us the
>>"shrink wrapped" applications that some what while still preserving
>>the "free spirit" of Linux.  Any thoughts?
>
>I think it would be great if it is possible! I have asked a similiar
>question in the past and the (small) response was that Linux in not likely
>to ever be binary compatible with the commercial stuff.

	That's not what I have heard :-).

	I not only think that it is possible, but quite probable that linux
will eventually support ELF binaries.  When I get back from my ski trip I will
start looking into the kernel support required.  Note that a lot more is needed
than just the kernel support - the GNU binutils need to be able to generate
ELF .o files, and ELF executables which they cannot really do yet.  As I
understand it, this is a fairly high priority with the people working on
binutils so it is just a matter of time.

-Eric
--
"When Grigor Samsa woke up one morning from unsettling dreams, he
found himself changed in his bed into a monstrous vermin."