From: papresco@cantor.math.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Prescod)
Subject: Linux Foundation
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1993 12:01:34 GMT

A few people have been wondering about how to support Linux development.
Here's my proposal:

1.We all send money to "the Linux Foundation" care of Linus. (sorry for
  dragging you into this, Linus, but you are the only "central figure").

2.We set up a mailing list "linuxfoundation" or something.  People mail in
  their nominations and votes for the best contributions to Linux
  that year.

3.The nominations would be auto-posted to this newsgroup (or a .misc newsgroup
  if we ever get around to splitting this newsgroup) and the votes would
  be broadcast around the mailling list.

4.Several people on the list would do an "official" count.

5.We divide up the money according to a predetermined algorithm (or give it
  all to one person in a lump sum).

6.Linus mails off some checks.

Probably nobody would be able to make a living off of Linux development, but
they could at least get some recompense.  The work to Linux isn't as much
as it sounds...he just has to keep the checks, take them to the bank every
so often, and write the checks to the winners.  Other people would do all
the vote administration.