Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
From: csa@pennies.sw.stratus.com (Chris Arthur)
Subject: Linux T-shirts Available!!!
Sender: wirzeniu@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Lars Wirzenius)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1993 21:43:09 GMT

Enough discussion; they exist, and YOU can get one, and thereby
support Linux, Linus, and the FSF all in one shot!

They feature the Linux logo by Peter Williams with a storm petrel (no,
it's not a seagull, according to Peter) and the word Linux, with the
bird overlaid on the L.  The bird is in black, and the "Linux" is in
red (I didn't pick the color scheme).  They look very nice.  They are
available in Extra Large (XL) or Large (L), on a 100% cotton Fruit of
the Loom (ie, good) t-shirt.  The t-shirts can be either white or ash
(sort of a mottled grey); I personally think they look best on the ash
colored shirt.

We can send one anywhere in the US for $12, including shipping.  This
amount covers the cost of the shirt, printing, handling, postage,
envelope (note that the t-shirt place handles all of the above for us,
for a fee), along with compensation for Linus Torvalds (who gave us
our beloved Linux!), the Free Software Foundation (from whom we get
much of the software that runs on Linux, from ls to gcc), Peter
Williams (who designed the logo used on the shirt), Bill Hahn (who
took the initiative in getting these things printed), and Chris Arthur
(me, who volunteered to organize this whole mess, handle the checks,
front the cash to get the quantity price on the shirts, etc.).  It
breaks down like this:

Shirt cost (in quantity): 	$5.00
Shipping (envelope, postage,
	handling, etc.):	$4.00 (postage alone is $2.36)
Linus Torvalds:			$0.75
Free Software Foundation:	$0.75
Peter Williams:			$0.50
Bill Hahn:			$0.50
Chris Arthur:			$0.50
--------------------------------------
Total:			       $12.00

So, for $12 (shipping included), you get a nice-looking, high
quality (Fruit of the Loom (tm), 100% cotton) t-shirt, and support
Linus & the FSF.

Note that if you want a different design, or a different distribution
of money, or whatever, it is a free world and you are free to get your
own shirts made however you like, and distribute them just like we are
(or differently).  But this is how we are doing it.

If you would prefer a different shirt color, or different colors for
the logo, you may send a SEPARATE (ie, not with an order) piece of
email to the email address below (with the word "color" in the
subject), and tell us what you are interested in.  If we get lots of
people asking for the same thing, we might provide them.  Regardless,
we make no guarantees; right now, all you can get is red & black on
ash or on white, in XL or L.

To order:

If you are inside the US:

1. Send email to linux-shirts@gnu.ai.mit.edu, with the word
   "order" in the subject.
   INCLUDE THIS INFORMATION:
	a. Your full name
	b. The address to send it to (include a zip code)
	c. A valid email address (in case of a problem)
	   Don't assume replying will work; often it doesn't!!
	d. Shirt size (XL or L (aka "Extra Large" or "Large"))
	e. Shirt color (Ash or White; I like Ash, personally)
	** Note that if you neglect to specify size & color,
	** you will get an Ash XL *OR* whatever we have a lot of,
	** and an exchange will cost you $5.
2. Send a check or money order for US$12 (drawn on a US bank)
   (no cash, please), payable to Christopher Arthur, to this address:
	Chris Arthur
	48 Fruit St, Apt 2LS
	Worcester, MA  01609-2112
   INCLUDE ALL THE SAME INFORMATION (don't assume that if it was
   in your email, we'll figure it out):
	a. Your full name
	b. The address to send it to (include a zip code)
	c. A valid email address (in case of a problem)
	   Don't assume replying will work; often it doesn't!!
	d. Shirt size (XL or L (aka "Extra Large" or "Large"))
	e. Shirt color (Ash or White; I like Ash, personally)
	** Note that if you neglect to specify size & color,
	** you will get an Ash XL *OR* whatever we have a lot of,
	** and an exchange will cost you $5.
3. Wait a couple of weeks, at least, before you panic and ask where
   your shirt is.  After 3 weeks, you can send email to the address
   given above and ask.  If you get your cancelled check before you
   get your shirt, definitely send email; ** we will not deposit a
   check before we ship the corresponding shirt! **  On the other
   hand, we also will not ship a shirt until we have a check or
   money order in hand.  Sorry, we can't handle credit cards.

NOTE that if your check bounces, we'll give you an opportunity to send
us a money order for $20 (to cover the shirt plus the amount the bank
will charge us for the bounce); if you don't, we'll post your name on
one of the linux groups, announcing to the world that you are a
first-class deadbeat and deserve to personally find the next three
filesystem-corrupting bugs the hard way. :-)

Outside the US (or large quantities):

If you want your shirt shipped outside the United States, it gets a
little bit more complicated.  Due to hassles with export declarations
and other horrible forms that we would have to fill out PER T-SHIRT if
we shipped them outside the US one at a time, and the hassle and
confusion involved in dealing with different currencies, here is how
we plan to handle this:

We are soliciting volunteers to coordinate t-shirt distribution within
their country (or a group of countries, if desired).  The coordinator
for each country/area will collect orders, tell us how many shirts
they need and send us a single check (in US dollars, drawn on a US
bank), we will send them at a cost of $8 per shirt plus whatever it
costs to ship them all at once in one box (probably less than $2 or
maybe less than $1.50 per shirt, depending on distance, since we'd use
UPS for that), and then they distribute them however they want.

So, if you are outside the US and you would like to volunteer to
coordinate, send email to the address given above and include:
    a. Your full name
    b. Your email address
    c. The country or countries you can do this for (sorry, entire
       countries only; counties/provinces/regions/etc. would be too
       confusing).
    d. Your full shipping address
    e. How people in that country should send you money, including:
       1. check?  money order?  something else?
       2. EXACTLY who should it be made out to?
       3. How much money should it be for, and in what currency?
	  (Don't forget to allow for your shipping cost, ~10 ounces.)
       4. To what address should the check/money order/whatever be sent?

We'll let you know whether or not you overlap with another volunteer,
and when you've been appointed the official coordinator for your country.

If you are outside the US and you would like to order a shirt:

1. Send email to linux-shirts@gnu.ai.mit.edu, with the word
   "order" in the subject.
   INCLUDE THIS INFORMATION:
	a. Your full name
	b. The address to send it to (include a COUNTRY NAME!)
	c. A valid email address (in case of a problem)
	   Don't assume replying will work; often it doesn't!!
	d. Shirt size (XL or L (aka "Extra Large" or "Large"))
	e. Shirt color (Ash or White; I like Ash, personally)
	** Note that if you neglect to specify size & color,
	** you will get an Ash XL *OR* whatever we have a lot of,
	** and an exchange will cost you at least $5.
2. WAIT.  We will forward your email to the coordinator for your
   country, and we will email you the information on how much
   money, and what kind, and in what form, and where you should
   send it (ie, b. and e.1. through e.4. above).  If there is no
   coordinator for your country, we will send you email telling
   you that, and then when there is a coordinator, we'll send you
   some more email, at which time you can let us know if you still
   want a shirt.  We'll wait a week or two after this announcement
   first goes out before we tell you there is no coordinator, so
   that people have time to volunteer.

If you just want to order a bunch of shirts (to save on shipping, to
resell or include with something, or whatever), send email:
   INCLUDE THIS INFORMATION:
	a. Your full name
	b. The address to send it to (include a COUNTRY NAME!)
	c. A valid email address (in case of a problem)
	   Don't assume replying will work; often it doesn't!!
        d. Number of shirts you want of each size (XL or L (aka
	   "Extra Large" or "Large")) and color (Ash or White;
	   I like Ash, personally) combination.
We'll send you email telling you how much money to send as soon
as we figure out how much shipping will cost.  The shirts will cost
you $8 each, and shipping will be whatever UPS charges from
Central Massachusetts to your location.

[End]