From: iiitac@swan.pyr (Alan Cox)
Subject: Windows easier than Linux NOT
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1993 16:05:18 GMT

I'm now definitely convinced Linux is easier to set up than windows. My
EGA monitor here at work died for good yesterday so I get a nice new
trident 8900c card and colour vdu. Little voice in my head goes 'Xterminal'.
It's taken me 30 minutes to install mcc 0.99.8+, about an hour to put
a minimal X system with the basic mcc release, including 30 minutes
digging the trident timings out of the etc/README.trident entry because
the example config didn't work.
Next for windows. Switch to vga mode. DOS boxes stopped working, turbo c
debugger blew up. Install tridents own drivers. DOS boxes mostly work
debugger is still broken. An hour later and I've been told to upgrade
to windows 3.1 (chink $$$ I'm glad its not me paying) and install the
upgrade. Now windows fails to start up properly unable to find some
drivers to exist anywhere. Three hours later and it looks like I'm now
going to have to install windows 3.1 from scratch and rebuild all my
application groups and other settings from scratch in the hope it will
work.

One - Nil to Linux.

PS: One slight problem I found - the mcc release isn't compiled with
FORCE_8BIT on the ethernet so with a few odd species of WD80x3 ethernet
cards it locks up.

Alan