Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
From: vohw...@acsu.buffalo.edu (David A. Vohwinkel)
Subject: SLS 1.03 when please??
Sender: n...@acsu.buffalo.edu
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1993 15:04:24 GMT

I was wondering when the next version of SLS will be out. And is there any
word when Linus will have version .99pl-10 done??? is this what the
makers of SLS are waiting for??? I love the SLS distributions and with all
the many GREAT changes lately I want to update all my files but I would
like to use the SLS since this is a very easy way for me to do it...

					Thanks

						Dave

>I was wondering when the next version of SLS will be out. And is there any
>word when Linus will have version .99pl-10 done??? is this what the
>makers of SLS are waiting for??? I love the SLS distributions and with all
>the many GREAT changes lately I want to update all my files but I would
>like to use the SLS since this is a very easy way for me to do it...

Like yourself, I use SLS...

There are a few VERY substantial developments under way, which will
take some time:

  1) New Linux kernel 0.99pl10
  2) New tcp/ip code (a substantial/complete re-write)
  3) New libraries
  4) New compiler
  5) New version of XFree86 1.3 (due mid-June)

Since all of this is inter-connected, to do it right will take a while
yet.  I for one have no problem waiting, being quite happy with SLS 1.02.
After looking into NetBSD/386BSD, I am HAPPY to wait.  The slow development
cycle with ???BSD and lack of a Micrsoft busmouse driver (yes, there is a
little known patch out there SOMEWHERE) was quite enlightening.

The new 386BSD 0.2 will be out "sometime this summer".  Unfortunately,
386BSD 0.2 will not, for the most part, use the patches developed by
the comp.os.386bsd.* crowd over the last year.  "What we have here, is
a failure to communicate"!
  phil perucci                       | "Any opinions expressed are my views,
  dsc3...@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil |  not the position of any organization"

>>I was wondering when the next version of SLS will be out. And is there any
>There are a few VERY substantial developments under way, which will
>take some time:
>
>  1) New Linux kernel 0.99pl10
>  2) New tcp/ip code (a substantial/complete re-write)
>  3) New libraries
>  4) New compiler
>  5) New version of XFree86 1.3 (due mid-June)
>
>Since all of this is inter-connected, to do it right will take a while

Couldn't have said it better myself.  As some of the veterns recognize,
things seem to develop lockstep in a bursts.  Add to the above:

 6) SVR4 binary support
 7) MS Windows translation lib (maybe)

Peter

>Couldn't have said it better myself.  As some of the veterns recognize,
>things seem to develop lockstep in a bursts.  Add to the above:

> 6) SVR4 binary support
> 7) MS Windows translation lib (maybe)

>Peter

Wow, what does this SVR4 binary support really mean? Can I compile stuff on
my SunOs 4.1.1 host and then run the compiled binaries under Linux?!