Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
From: lu...@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Tuomas J Lukka)
Subject: Do you want to see linux replace MSW?
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1993 17:05:48 GMT

I had a thought about this recently: the reason Ms-windows is so
much more popular and will be, instead of X is because it's easy.
There are 'good' (meager) defaults that are well documented.

X-windows is a beast to use if you can't understand resources or so on.
(Just think about the poor secretary...) so what I propose is:
form a working group for making a 'polished' X-windows with good
defaults and documentation about them. Pulling this off would
greatly aid making linux a 'real choice' in words of the one thread.

I'll shut up now and don my asbestos garments.

NOTE: I don't have time for this effort... however, if someone wants
to volunteer, I suggest making a mailing list at linux-activists
and posting info here. I hope someone does.

TJL