From: Oscar Waddell < owaddell@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu>
Subject: do mmap and/or dlopen exist for linux?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1993 02:22:34 GMT

Hi Folks,

Is there anything for Linux like mmap but for memory mapped *files*.

Is there anything for Linux analogous to dlopen on the Suns
(an interface to dynamic link-editor)?

Please e-mail with any clues,
Oscar
(owaddell@cs.indiana.edu)

From: entropy@world.std.com (Lawrence Foard)
Subject: Re: do mmap and/or dlopen exist for linux?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1993 21:40:25 GMT

In article <C8ozxM.LB8@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>
Oscar Waddell <owaddell@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:

>Hi Folks,
>
>Is there anything for Linux like mmap but for memory mapped *files*.

I've been playing with memory management some and have a read only
mmap call working. Basically borrowing from the code that maps executables
and libraries. If anyone wants the patchs I'll e-mail them, however I
won't make any promises about writtable MMF's since I don't have much
free time. First I'd like to unify memory mapped files, shared libraries
and executables.

The read only ones do make a huge difference, I can now easily view multiple
multimeg images at once on my 8 meg computer with very little thrashing.
Redisplay just causes sequential disk reads without the nasty grinding noise
you usually get from swapping.

--
======  Forgive me for I have eaten of beans and believed in irrational  .
\    /  numbers.                                                        . .

  LF> I've been playing with memory management some and have a read
  LF> only mmap call working. Basically borrowing from the code that
  LF> maps executables and libraries. If anyone wants the patchs I'll
  LF> e-mail them, however I won't make any promises about writtable
  LF> MMF's since I don't have much free time. First I'd like to unify
  LF> memory mapped files, shared libraries and executables.

In the kernel source there is a file called /usr/src/linux/mm/mmap.c
(pl10) and in libc.a there is

mmap.o:
         U _errno
00000000 T _mmap

I didn't try them, but are they not functional then?
Peter Mutsaers       |  Bunnik (Ut),     |      Quod licet bovi,
muts@muts.hacktic.nl |  the Netherlands  |      non licet Jovi