Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
From: sanjuan!pmacd...@sol.UVic.CA (Peter MacDonald)
Subject: IMPORTANT: SLS status
Sender: use...@dg-rtp.dg.com (Usenet Administration)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 01:43:36 GMT

It seems there are some resellers of SLS that are misrepresenting
(intentionally or otherwise) their status.  To wit they are claiming
to be one of Softlandings outlets.  While it is true that there are
some valid resellers, Linux Laboratories or some outfit in Michigan
is not one of them.  Softlanding does not offer support for their
clients, and frankly, is getting a little peaved at explaining
this to bewildered customers with problems.

The Linux kernel is copyrighted Linus Torvalds.  SLS is copyrighted
Softlanding Software.  I thought this was made clear that in the
attendant files.  While redistribution is an important aspect of
SLS, there is no room deception.

So, starting with the next release, the SLS copyright will be
enhanced to be a superset of GNU.   In addition, both the
Linux and SLS copyrights will be required in solicitations
or advertisments.  Finally, the terms of support must be
made clear, in writing to the recipients.  This means also
explaining that Softlanding does not support them, unless
purchased from a valid Softlanding reseller.

Peter

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-annou...@tc.cornell.edu