From: haw...@ucrengr.ucr.edu (brian hawley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Linux and Corporate America
Date: 25 Aug 93 16:28:58 GMT
Sender: n...@galaxy.ucr.edu

Some fellow graduate students and I were discussing the distribution
of Linux.  One of the questions that came up was what would prevent
a company from adding some enhancements to Linux and then selling it
for a price.  It might even be that Linux is used just as an OS on
some integrated system which provided the ability to sense a nuclear
reactor mealtdown and lower the rods (please don't flame about the
real time nature of Linux and this application, it is just an example).

What restrictions are placed on the distribution of Linux, and its
reuse in other products.

~
Thanks,
haw...@ucrengr.ucr.edu

>Some fellow graduate students and I were discussing the distribution
>of Linux.  One of the questions that came up was what would prevent
>a company from adding some enhancements to Linux and then selling it
>for a price.

Nothing.  However, they MUST acknowledge where the system came from
(i.e. Linus and the rest of the gang) and they MUST make the source
code available.  These are required by the GPL.

>It might even be that Linux is used just as an OS on
>some integrated system which provided the ability to sense a nuclear
>reactor mealtdown and lower the rods (please don't flame about the
>real time nature of Linux and this application, it is just an example).

Hmm... I can't this happening.  Pardon my ignorance, but does this
kind of embedded system need an OS?

>What restrictions are placed on the distribution of Linux, and its
>reuse in other products.

The information you're looking for is in the GPL (which I will admit
is not the clearest document in the world -- see the ongoing argument
in gnu.misc.discuss between the FSF and people like Michael Golan and
myself).

	--Troy
+--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Troy A. Baer       | "I naver saw a MacGregor et an Inglisman doon     |
| tab...@magnus.acs. |  ta the shoe before..."                           |
|  ohio-state.edu    | -- Jock Armstrong of the Syde, _The_Spiral_Dance_ |
+--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+

>>Some fellow graduate students and I were discussing the distribution
>>of Linux.  One of the questions that came up was what would prevent
>>a company from adding some enhancements to Linux and then selling it
>>for a price.

>Nothing.  However, they MUST acknowledge where the system came from
>(i.e. Linus and the rest of the gang) and they MUST make the source
>code available.  These are required by the GPL.

No, no, no...  I think Mr. Hawley meant "what would prevent" them.
That is, not "why shouldn't they" but what would actually persuade them
not to do it?

Will someone (WHO?) sue a violator of the GPL?  In what jurisdiction?
                    ^^^
Seriously now...  What would happen to me, no, what would *YOU* do to
me if I were to come up with a "killer app" under Linux 0.99.12 and sell
it as "RickOS" or some-such ridiculous thing?  What if I sold MicroSoft
<ack!><gag!><spit!> on the idea and they started marketing it to compete
with SunOS and Solaris for i486's???  Hmmm?   What would happen?!?

Nothing.  That's what.  NULL, nil, zero, nulo, nada, zilch...  Period.

Here's the loophole...

	Linus, have you *paid* for your Copyright on Linux yet?
	It has been openly published for over a year now...

RICK MILLER           <r...@ee.uwm.edu>            Voice:  +1 414 221-3403
P.O. BOX 1759                                        FAX:  +1 414 221-4744
MILWAUKEE, WI                      Send a postcard and I'll send one back.
53150-1759 USA                    Sendu bildkarton kaj mi retrosendos oni.