From: jst...@aris.ss.uci.edu (Jeff Stern)
Subject: FYI.. benchmarks on linux and 386bsd
Newsgroups: comp.os.386bsd.misc,comp.os.linux
Date: 5 Oct 93 08:04:29 GMT

I recently switched from 386bsd to linux, and happened to find some
benchmarks I had archived from when the same machine was running
386bsd, and thought I'd run them again under linux.  i'm not going
to state which system i like better, because frankly i like them
both, and also both have their loveable quirks, too :)

anyway, since there seemed to be *SO* much 'authoritative information'
going around about both systems (usually from people who have tried
one but not the other) i thought I'd offer up the output in the
effort to produce some actual 'data' to consider.

These are two different dhrystone benchmarks, and a dhampstone
benchmark which I compiled both under gcc (without optimization) on
each system. To be fair, I can't remember which gcc I was running on
the 386bsd system, the one on linux is 2.4.5.  The version of bsd I
had was 0.1, of course, with a few patches. Linux here is SLS
0.99.12/1.03.  My box is a 386-33 Micronics with 8MB ram and 64K
cache, no wait states, and a co-processor (for what it's worth).
Also, for what it's worth, each compile had different problems which I
pragmatically hacked, having to do with conflicts with the libraries
on previous declarations. i can explain each of these if anyone wanted
to get into it..

anyway, here they are.  Roughly, the linux system seemed to produce
about 3-4,000 dhrystones more than the 386bsd system.  i would be
interested in theories on why this might be the case, and also to know
if someone has done a more careful port and measurement than i, and
also if disk speed or tcp/ip access can be measured, either.

AS 386BSD:
==========
OUTPUT OF DHRY:
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:  115.0
Dhrystones per Second:                      8695.7

OUTPUT OF DHAMP:
Start...

cresult = 9000

iresult = 32041

uresult = 46368

lresult = 81000000
 square = 0

dresult = 9000.000000
  dmath = 9000.000000
   copy = 1000

...End
OUTPUT OF DHRYSTON:
Dhrystone time for 50000 passes = 4
This machine benchmarks at 10714 dhrystones/second
==========

AS LINUX:
=========
OUTPUT OF DHRY:
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:  191.7
Dhrystones per Second:                      5217.4

OUTPUT OF DHAMP:
Start...

cresult = 9000

iresult = 32041

uresult = 46368

lresult = 81000000
 square = 0

dresult = 9000.000000
  dmath = 9000.000000
   copy = 1000

...End
OUTPUT OF DHRYSTON:
Dhrystone time for 50000 passes = 8
This machine benchmarks at 5917 dhrystones/second
=========