From: hta@uninett.no (Harald T. Alvestrand)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Subject: Linux user count passes 2000 users
Date: 7 Oct 1993 21:46:20 GMT

(To get included into the count, send an E-mail to linux-counter@uninett.no
with one of the subject lines:

  I use Linux at home
  I use Linux at work
  I use Linux at home and at work
  I don't use Linux

You will get an E-mail back saying how your vote was counted)

LINUX counter status, as of Thu Oct  7 10:31:59 MET 1993

Number of messages processed: 2162
Number of current votes     : 2064 (98 revotes)
Number of Linux users       : 2029 (35 non-users voted)

PROBABLE DISTRIBUTION OF PLACES WHERE LINUX IS USED
1300  62% at home
 505  24% at home and at work
 156   7% at work
  68   3% somewhere
  35   1% not used

BY DOMAIN
 496 edu      303 com      291 de       124 uk        88 ca
  80 nl        73 au        70 fi        51 se        51 no
  38 net       38 gov       37 at        35 dk        27 org
  26 fr        20 ch        19 unknown   15 za        15 uucp
  14 be        13 mil       11 it         8 jp         8 us
   6 bitnet     6 tw         5 pt         5 ie         5 pl
   5 nz         5 es         4 hk         4 il         4 is
   3 hu         3 br         3 co         3 cl         3 gr
   2 su         2 si         2 ee         1 mx         1 cz
   1 cs         1 th         1 hr         1 ro         1 gb
   1 in

BY COUNTRY
(I like sorting by #/population, because that puts Norway near the top :-)
Country                         #Linux   MPop Lin/M
Iceland                              4    0.3  15.7
Finland                             70    5.0  14.0
Norway                              51    4.3  11.9
Denmark                             35    5.1   6.9
Sweden                              51    8.6   5.9
Netherlands                         80   14.9   5.4
Austria                             37    7.6   4.9
Australia                           73   17.1   4.3
Germany                            291   79.1   3.7
USA                                885  249.6   3.5 edu,com,gov,mil,org,us
Canada                              88   26.6   3.3
Switzerland                         20    6.7   3.0
United Kingdom                     125   57.2   2.2 uk,gb
New Zealand                          5    3.4   1.5
Ireland                              5    3.5   1.4
Belgium                             14    9.9   1.4
Estonia                              2    1.6   1.2
Slovenia                             2    2.0   1.0
Hong Kong                            4    5.9   0.7
Israel                               4    6.3   0.6
South Africa                        15   30.2   0.5
Portugal                             5   10.3   0.5
France                              26   56.2   0.5
Greece                               3   10.1   0.3
Taiwan                               6   20.3   0.3
Hungaria                             3   10.5   0.3
Chile                                3   13.5   0.2
Croatia                              1    4.8   0.2
Italy                               11   57.7   0.2
Poland                               5   38.4   0.1
Spain                                5   39.5   0.1
Czech Rebublic                       1   10.0   0.1
Colombia                             3   34.3   0.1
Japan                                8  123.3   0.1
Czechoslovakia (former)              1   15.7   0.1
Romania                              1   23.2   0.0
Brazil                               3  158.2   0.0
Thailand                             1   57.6   0.0
The World (somewhere)               78 5000.0   0.0 net,int,bitnet,uucp,unknown
Soviet Union (former)                2  147.4   0.0
Mexico                               1   81.4   0.0
India                                1  844.0   0.0

Comments:

* YES, I know that this count is a severe undercount, because

  a) not all Linux users can send E-mail
  b) of those that can send E-mail, a lot don't read c.o.l.announce

  Nevertheless, this count has already passed the previous largest real count
  of Linux-interested people (the c.o.l split vote, which had 1842 votes).

* YES, the allocation of "com" to the US and "bitnet" to "the world" is
  more or less arbitary. I will think about getting a better split across
  countries in a week or two, but at least, we get an idea.

* I don't think letting people register others into the count is a good
  idea. How shall we know whether two people are registering the same friend?

* I count users, not machines. BBS users, who neither know nor care that
  their BBS is running on a Linux system, should probably not be counted,
  while "dialin UNIX" users with E-mail access probably should be. I will
  think about counting machines some time later (probably not before November).

* So far, at least 38 of the replies from the counter have bounced. This
  means that 1.7 % of the mail has problems. I consider this good!

One more word:

PLEASE crosspost the vote request to local newsgroups, BBSes and the like!
I believe many German Linux users (for instance) would read mostly their
"own" newsgroups, and would get the information by such paths.

>From X.400 networks, the addresses

S=linux-counter;O=uninett;PRMD=uninett;ADMD= ;C=no
S=linux-counter;O=uninett;PRMD=uninett;ADMD=uninett;C=no

might work.
Have fun!

--
                   Harald Tveit Alvestrand