Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help
From: ah...@rainbow.ecn.purdue.edu (Alan Haas)
Subject: Initial difficulties ecncountered after installation
Sender: n...@noose.ecn.purdue.edu (USENET news)
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1993 11:45:27 GMT

would like to list some of the problems I have encountered (most
still persist) and how I had to work around them.

   I have a 486-33 DX with a 240M HD partitioned into two 120M portions.
I also have 40 meg HD.  The first partition of the 240 is my dos boot drive.
The Linux is SLS downloaded from tsx-11.mit.edu

1)  For some reason, the menu program when typing "install"
    did not work for me.  To install the distribution disk I had to

    a) login as root,
    b) type the command    m????? /dev/hda2 110000
(I forget the the command, it begins with an m.  Typing the command for
help that the program tells you about will list the command)
    c) type the command    doinstall /dev/hda2

    Thereafter, the menus worked.

2)  on disk a2 on "pkg faq" the message "does not look like tar archive"
    was given.  After looking at the How-to install faq's, I took this as
    meaningless noise

3)  On a3 one of the packages was elfabi.  Having no idea what elf
    is, and thus no plans to use elf, I elected not to include this
    package.  (the opt signifier indicated this is optional )

4)  On disk b2 for the emacs package, the note that xshlib.tgz is
    needed.  I assume that this is on one of the x series of disks.
    I need to know which one.   I am avoiding installing x until
    I get around all my problems with the base system.  Also, I want
    to get the newest version just released.

5)  On disk b4 for some kernal stuff, I got  messages of tar cannot find
    and cannot make errors.  These error messages did not sound like
    what is mentioned in the faq.  As of yet, I do not believe this is
    the source of any propagated errors

   At last I finished with the installation.   I then tried a few commands
to see how they would work.

6)  I tried to run sc, but the error message

    undefined c library function   1) light C shared image, use real
    one instead.

   For the moment, this one has  me.

7) I wrote hello.c and tried to run gcc.
   The error message incompatible minor version number DLL Jump 4.4 pl1
   was given.  Likewise trying to run the command gdb gave an internal
   memory corruption error.

   (I have not read the GCC FAQ, so this may likely be a common error.
    If so then I appologize for wasting your time on a problem with
    an easy access to a solution.)

   From here on out is FAQ type stuff.  Even afer looking at some of
the FAQ's I am still stumped.  So read on only if wanting to help
on really simplistic stuff.

8)  How does one update applications with patch files?  I see patch files
    posted, but they do me no good since I do not know a convienent way
    to use them.

9)  I saw an earlier post wanting to know how to access linux files
    from DOS.  Seeing as that could not be done,  how does one write
    linux files to floppies that can be read from dos.  In my case,
    I would like write to my "b" drive.  My basic (this is an exageration)
    skills do not include things like how to use the command to mount
    the drive.

10)  Likewise I would like to copy files from floppies or even on Ms-dos
     partitions to my linux partition.  I tried ls /dev/fd1 to no avail.
     Not remembering if the drive is caled f1 or fd1 I even tried
     ls /dev/f1.  I even tried both combos with H1440 tacked on.
     If I can't even list the files, then I sure can't copy them!

11) One last thing on using gcc.  Do c++ files need a .C extention for
    gcc, or is .c still fine?  As I have said, I have looked at the
    gcc faq so do not bother to answer if offended.

12) What is the best newsgroup(s) to subsribe to that will help me
    learn the additional unix skills I need if I am to continue using
    linux?

    Thank You, for your help.

            Alan Haas   : ah...@ecn.purdue.edu