From: ap...@yfn.ysu.edu (Christopher L. Mikkelson)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.386bsd.questions
Subject: SUMMARY: FreeBSD vs. Linux
Date: 10 Nov 1993 22:30:02 GMT

  I got a few responses to my post, and some people have been asking for
them, so here they are.

Message #15 (24 is last):
Date: Sun Oct 31 18:32:41 1993
From: st...@mnementh.cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER)
Subject: Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux
To: ap...@yfn.ysu.edu

In article <2b1bjr$...@news.ysu.edu> you write:

>  Hello all!  I am kinda stuck between Linux (Yggdrasil LGX) and FreeBSD.
>I was wondering what LGX would give me that FreeBSD wouldn't and vice versa.
>Please e-mail responses.

	Linux has a scary kernel, bad networking code, and is generally
	a pretty patchy system.  NetBSD and FreeBSD are full
	blown ports of 4.3 Net/2, so they have all the advantages
	(and disadvantages) that this system had.  Specifically, a
	COOOL  Filesystem, Great networking code, integrated SLIP and PPP
	support, and BSD familiar utiltiies.  Linux tends to be VEYR patchy
	int his aspect---You have to use -lbsdcompat, -lthis -lthat, etc.

	To Linux's credit, a LOT of these problems are being addressed.

	NetBSD also now has Sun style Pic-based shared libraires, which
	freeBSD lacks.  Linux has some scary jump table based shared
	lib.s

	Linux has the advantage of having about twice the number
	of users however, a large number of which are frothing
	freebie freaks who can't understand why one would POISSIBLY
	want to use anything other than Linux.

	Linux has dosemu, which lets you run DOS progarms.  As most
	*BSD people use UNIX to escape DOS, there is no demand for this
	in the *BSD world :-)

	Both systems (NetBSD and Linux) have wine, which is a project
	in the alpha stages to wort of do the same thing as WABI.

	The choice is complex:

	1.  If DOS requirements are a MUST, then Linux is the best.
	2.  If you want a clean OS with nice kernel, and ALL The utilities
	under the sun, Net/FreeBSD are the way to go.
	3.  If you have more than one type of machine, or plan on getting
	more machines, NetBSD is the way to go---It currently runs on the
	i386/i486, Sun3, Sparc, hp300, Amiga, Mac, and two others I've
	never heard of before.

	Having used SunOS a while, and being a big fan of TRULY free
	source code (ulnike the GPL, under which ALL linux code falls),
	I found NetBSD to be entirely optimal for my needs.

						Toodlepip!
						Marc 'em.

Marc Wandschneider					    Seattle, WA
Barney the Dinosaur sings! You faint... Barney sings!  Barney sings! --More--
You Die... --More--

Message #18 (24 is last):