From: longyear@netcom.com (Alfred Longyear)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Subject: COFF is not IBCS (or why won't my COFF executables run)
Date: 28 Dec 1993 00:51:19 +0200

In the latest kernel, I asked Linus to include my COFF loader. There were
several reasons why I wanted to include it and only one reason to withhold
it. It seems that some people are finding that reason.

Please do not attempt to run iBCS executables without the iBCS emulator.
The stub file for the iBCS emulator which is in the released kernel will
simply print multiple lines similar to the following:

lcall 7,xxx: eax = 00000002

where "00000002" will change depending upon the system call generated. After
some messages like this, your application will probably trap.

If you see lines such as this, then you do not have the proper emulator. The
proper emulator is available in development testing. If you wish the emulator
then please join the linux-activsts mail list (IBSC2 channel) and ask for
the private location there.

Hopefully, the emulator code will be released shortly and this problem will
only be momentary.

--
Al Longyear           longyear@sii.com

--