Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development
From: jmor...@hunan.rastek.com (Jim Morris)
Subject: How to run ELF binaries?
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1993 18:02:34 GMT

I am attempting to run binaries created on a 486DX running USL's SVR4,
which I understand uses ELF type binaries.  I have compiled the ELF
(and COFF) support into my 0.99.14h kernel.

When I attempt to execute one of these binaries, I get a message like:

     ./vim: Can not access a needed shared library

What gives?  Just to be sure that it wasn't a problem with vim itself,
I recompiled it as a staticly linked executable, and I still get the
error message.  Is there some shared library I need for Linux, in order
to run ELF binaries?

BTW, I am running Slackware 1.1.1, 0.99.14h, GCC 2.4.5, and libc 4.4.4.

Thanks!

/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|Jim Morris                           | Sorry!  If you expected some cutesy,|
|                                     | snide little statement here, then   |
|Internet Address: jmor...@rastek.com | you're going to be disappointed!    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

>I am attempting to run binaries created on a 486DX running USL's SVR4,
>which I understand uses ELF type binaries.  I have compiled the ELF
>(and COFF) support into my 0.99.14h kernel.
>
>When I attempt to execute one of these binaries, I get a message like:
>
>     ./vim: Can not access a needed shared library
>
>What gives?  Just to be sure that it wasn't a problem with vim itself,
>I recompiled it as a staticly linked executable, and I still get the
>error message.  Is there some shared library I need for Linux, in order
>to run ELF binaries?

	This is pretty much the size of it.  I have forgotten where I uploaded
this (it was some time ago), but I think that you will find the required stuff
on tsx-11 in pub/linux/packages/SLS/a3/elfabi.tgz.

	Note that this may not work for anything that tries to use fancy
syscalls.  I have been meaning to update this, and once the IBCS2 stuff is in
the distribution kernel I will be able to fix the elfabi so that the SVr4
binary support will work much better.

-Eric

--
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.  But I have promises to keep,
And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."