Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: dy...@949lab29.portsmouth.uk.ibm.com ()
Subject: Re: Slackware 1.1.2 problems
Sender: n...@hawnews.watson.ibm.com (NNTP News Poster)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 09:26:18 GMT

David Simmons (simm...@EE.MsState.Edu) wrote:
: Am I the only one to notice the few annoying bugs in the Slackware 1.1.2
: distribution?  Here is what I see so far:

: 1) sometimes during installation, if you are using the color setup, the
etc.

: 2) NFS mounting (at least in the color setup)...  It doesn't seem to
etc.

: 3) Why do packages like 'sc' say "skip" during installation, and not give
etc.

: 4) What happened to "su"?  It may be around somewhere; I haven't looked too
etc.

Think yourself lucky. I got 1.1.2 yesterday, put it all on floppies.
I downloaded it from sunsite.unc.edu. Here are my current problems:

1. It configures the kernel to mount root read-only. This means /etc/mtab
can't be written when it boots, I can't change /etc/passwd or the Lilo
config when I do get it up. This is a very serious problem, and (unless
I have done something wrong somewhere) I would advise you to use Slackware
1.1.2 with extreme caution. Please tell me if this is my fault and what
I'm doing wrong if it is -- but I read all the README files and checked
the install options carefully, so I think it's a bug.  (It also means
I have an unbootable machine as I can't configure lilo to boot off the
hard disk!)

2. It doesn't install an /etc/passwd (I have checked the files I downloaded
for the passwd package, but it isn't there, and it doesn't seem to be
on ftp.cdrom.com either)

Can someone please tell me how I can change the brain-dead 'root is read-only'
in the kernel!! Please don't say 'recompile it.' How can I? Gcc won't
be able to write to /tmp, because guess what, it's in the root partition
which is read-only!!

--
#include <disclaimer.h>
Internet: dy...@vnet.ibm.com  | JANET: dylan%vnet.ibm....@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay