Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help
From: jerij...@hurricane.seas.ucla.edu (Arthur D. Jerijian)
Subject: Linux and X WordPerfect
Sender: n...@seas.ucla.edu (News Administrator)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 18:57:52 GMT

  Does Linux support the X WordPerfect package?

--
                Arthur D. Jerijian
                   School of Engineering and Applied Science

       E-mail:  jerij...@hurricane.seas.ucla.edu
                izzy...@mvs.oac.ucla.edu

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.help
From: bout...@netcom.com (Thomas Boutell)
Subject: Re: Linux and X WordPerfect
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 04:59:24 GMT

In article <CLsnCq....@seas.ucla.edu>,
Arthur D. Jerijian <jerij...@hurricane.seas.ucla.edu> wrote:
>  Does Linux support the X WordPerfect package?

No, but thanks for asking the question properly.

What I mean by this is that you've got the order right!
Linux will be able to run WordPerfect and just about every
other major commercial package not written by Microsoft
as soon as compatibility with the binary standards of other
80x86 Unixes is achieved. Since this is obviously less
effort than porting and maintaing every single application
under the sun in a unique Linux version, I encourage those
who want to know why commercial product XYZ isn't available
for Linux to instead ask why Linux doesn't yet fully
support COFF, ELF, IBCS, etc.

(There's work being done in this area, but I'd like to
hear more from those doing it and I'd like to hear
how I might be of help. This is a very important
area for Linux.)

Followups directed to comp.os.linux.development in hopes
of opening further discussion on the subject among the
kernelmongers.

-T
--
bout...@netcom.com, purveyor of fine HTML pages to the biology trade.