From: zcee...@ucl.ac.uk (Mr Ivan Alastair Beveridge)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development
Subject: IPX compliancy?
Date: 17 Mar 1994 04:57:42 -0600
Sender: dae...@cs.utexas.edu

Basically, I was wondering if anyone has made Linux compliant with Netware
at all. As I do not really know much about protocols, I cannot really ask
much more than this.

Cheers

Ivan
--

Ivan Beveridge <zcee...@uk.ac.ucl>

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development
From: iii...@uk.ac.swan.pyr (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: IPX compliancy?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 14:55:03 GMT

In article <1994Mar14.185508.46...@ucl.ac.uk> zcee...@ucl.ac.uk
(Mr Ivan Alastair Beveridge) writes:
>Basically, I was wondering if anyone has made Linux compliant with Netware
>at all. As I do not really know much about protocols, I cannot really ask
>much more than this.

There is a beta test IPX layer for Linux, but no netware support. Novell
guards its netware details with lawyers and complex licensing agreements
involving thousands of dollars. So forget it - Linux does Lan manager and NFS

>>Basically, I was wondering if anyone has made Linux compliant with Netware
>>at all. As I do not really know much about protocols, I cannot really ask
>>much more than this.
>
>There is a beta test IPX layer for Linux, but no netware support. Novell
>guards its netware details with lawyers and complex licensing agreements
>involving thousands of dollars. So forget it - Linux does Lan manager and NFS

There is always reverse-engineering.

>>There is a beta test IPX layer for Linux, but no netware support. Novell
>>guards its netware details with lawyers and complex licensing agreements
>>involving thousands of dollars. So forget it - Linux does Lan manager and NFS
>
>There is always reverse-engineering.

Dr.Dobbs journal Nov. 1993 covers most of it. It doesn't help in the slightest
if you look at the list of alleged software patents that Novell hold
in the USA. Reverse engineering doesn't exempt you from patents.

Alan