Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
From: pdcr...@orac.iinet.com.au (Patrick D'Cruze)
Subject: An Introduction to Linux International
Sender: m...@cs.cornell.edu (Matt Welsh)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 1994 18:51:19 GMT

Monday 28th March 1994:	An Introduction to Linux International

Linux International is an organization that has been formed to promote the
wide spread adoption of the Linux Operating System amongst computer users
everywhere.  We in the organization believe that Linux provides potential
users with many advantages over rival operating systems (notably Microsoft's
Windows family and IBM's OS/2) and that many users would benefit from
installing and using Linux on their machines.  However there are currently
many obstacles preventing many users from utilizing Linux and taking full
advantage of its capabilities.  It is Linux International's goal to begin
removing these obstacles.

Essentially Linux International's goals are twofold:
- encourage as many people, organizations, and communities as possible to
  start using Linux
- promote the development and distribution of freely available software

Linux International will be doing whatever is reasonably possible to achieve
its goals.  As is evident though, much work remains to be done before
customers will see Linux as a viable solution to their operating system
requirements.  Most of the work though falls roughly into 3 categories:
	- Marketing
	- After sales service and support
	- Supplementary Research and Development

Marketing:
	It is pointless having the best operating system on the market and
presented at an affordable price point if you don't tell anyone about it.
LI's role in this area will be to advertise Linux as far and as wide as
possible.  We will be emphasizing the many features and advantages that
Linux has to offer over its competition.  LI will be presenting solid
reasons to potential customers why they should switch from their present
operating environment to Linux.  LI will also be listening to customers
and taking note of their needs.  LI will then endeavor to make sure that
those needs are adequately addressed and that customers are happy with
present and future versions of Linux.

After Sales Service and Support
	This will be one of LI's biggest responsibilities - the establishment
of a suitable support infrastructure so that we can provide the desired
level of service to customers.  Support will be crucial (amongst other
things) in convincing customers to switch to Linux.  Support will be
primarily targeting the non-net community, ie those customers who do not
have access to the Internet and/or who cannot ask a friendly Unix guru to
freely install and maintain the Linux OS on their machines.

Supplementary Research and Development
	Work done in this area by LI will primarily be aimed at reducing the
complexity of the system for newbie users without compromising the
functionality of the system in any way.  This is required to not only reduce
the workload of the Customer Support department but also is required by
potential customers.  Other activities carried out by LI will be designed
to complement existing development work that is being carried out within
the Linux community.  Needless to say that all development work carried out
by LI will be freely released to the Linux community.

In addition LI will also be talking with third-party software developers and
encouraging them to port their software to Linux.  The availability of
software applications will also play a large part in Linux's success as a
future mainstream operating system.

We at LI believe that it is now time for Linux to begin taking on the big
boys in the industry.  Linux is truly capable of achieving this however
work needs to be done to provide the needed commercial services to back up
a solid product.  These global services will be orchestrated and managed by
Linux International.  We of course will be working closely with many
developers and assisting them in any way possible.  Together though, we are
going to ensure that Linux enjoys the level of success that is deserving of
such a fine operating system.  And we are going to ensure that Microsoft
and IBM aren't the only ones that can destroy an operating system ... err
... brilliantly market a superior OS to customers.

Regards,
Patrick D'Cruze			pdcr...@orac.iinet.com.au
Linux International

PS - Stay tuned for future announcements detailing a public mailing list and
a call for volunteers.

Disclaimer: Linux International in no way represents current or future Linux
developers.  The organization is a separate autonomous entity and speaks
only for itself.