Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
From: phil@fylz.com (Phil Hughes LJ Editor)
Subject: Linux Journal -- Major Changes
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 1994 18:15:51 GMT

The idea for producing Linux Journal arose in early 1993. In late
February, 1994 we mailed our first issue.  The magazine received a very
positive response -- both on the Internet and elsewhere.  Issue #2 will be
mailed in mid-April.

The first two issues were produced by ACC Corp in Connecticut and
by Linux Journal staff in Seattle.  There were problems in
producing the magazine between the two locations which has resulted
in the need for a major change for Linux Journal.

SSC, publisher of Unix and C pocket references for over ten years, is
taking over responsibility for magazine production and subscription
fulfillment from ACC Corp.  This moves these functions to Seattle
where our advertising office is located and draws on SSC's
experience in publishing to get the magazine out on time.

Phil Hughes takes over the position of publisher, having the overall
responsibility for the complete publication.  Phil's 11 years in
publishing and 15 years of experience with Unix will be applied to
ensure the quality of the publication as well as its promotion.

Michael K. Johnson assumes the role of editor.  Already being active
in the Linux community and a Linux Journal columnist, Michael became
the logical choice. For those unfamiliar with him, he is a recent
graduate of St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota.  He started
using Linux as soon as it could boot by itself, and has been involved
with development ever since.  He founded the original "man project",
which was the forerunner of the current "Linux Documentation Project",
and maintains a few Linux packages, as well as the "Linux Kernel
Hackers' Guide".

Joanne Wagner remains in the position of Advertising Manager and all
the columnists will continue with their columns.

Because of production delays on what was to be the April issue at ACC
Corp, it has become the April/May issue.  Issue #3 will be the
June/July issue to allow us to complete the transition and establish
the necessary lead time for newsstand distribution.  After that we
will resume monthly publication.  (Subscribers will still receive the
number of issues they signed up for.)

One change will be on the cover of the magazine.  Starting with
issue #3 we will be going to a glossy cover to increase newsstand
appeal and make the publication less susceptible to damage in the
mail.

We have also been forced to increase non-U.S. subscription rates.
They better reflect distribution costs but are still below actual
mailing rates.

Although subscription queries have always been sent to
subscriptions@fylz.com, this was an alias for an address in
Connecticut.  We are in the process of translating subscriber
information into the format used by the SSC database so please bear
with us if we seem slow in answering subscription questions.  We
expect to have the changes complete by April 15.

Here is the new contact information:
  Subscriptions:
    $19/year U.S., $24/year Canada, $29/year Foreign
    $34/2 years U.S., $44/2 years Canada, $49/2 years Foreign
    Linux Journal, P.O. Box 85867, Seattle, WA 98145-1867
    FAX: +1 206 526-0803, Phone: +1 206 527-3385
    E-mail: subscriptions@fylz.com
  Advertising:
    Joanne Wagner, P.O. Box 85867, Seattle, WA 98145-1867
    FAX: +1 206 526-0803, Phone: +1 206 524-8338
    E-mail: joanne@fylz.com
  Press Releases, New Product Announcements:
    New Products, P.O. Box 85867, Seattle, WA 98145-1867
    FAX: +1 206 526-0803
    E-mail: newprod@fylz.com
  Editor:
    Michael K. Johnson's new SLIP connection is under construction.
    Until this is established, editor e-mail can be sent to
    ljeditor@sunsite.unc.edu.

--
Phil Hughes, Editor, Linux Journal, P.O. Box 85867, Seattle, WA 98145-1867 USA
E-mail: phil@fylz.com   Phone: +1 206 524 8338 FAX: +1 206 526 0803