Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
From: Patrick D'Cruze <pdcr...@orac.iinet.com.au>
Subject: ANNOUNCE: Configuration tools project
Sender: m...@cs.cornell.edu (Matt Welsh)
Date: Sat, 7 May 1994 19:13:47 GMT

Arguably, one of the biggest problem areas within Linux (and Unix in general)
is in the configuration of all aspects of the system.  Many calls for help
stem from a lack of knowledge in configuring some part of the system or from
configuring it incorrectly.  Often times, the answer to these calls for help
is to RTFM and then get out your trusty text editor and edit the configuration
files.

A large number of users however see a need for easy to use configuration tools
- tools that do not require users to read and reread man pages and do not
require users to fire up vi or emacs to effect some changes.  Many people have
shown an interest in a set of X based GUI configuration packages - packages
that would present a more intuitive means of effecting changes.  Something
similar to Window's Control Panel would be a nice start.  These tools would be
used to configure things like:
	- lpd setup
	- kernel config
	- nfs
	- NetBios server
	- TCP/IP
	- sendmail (ugh!)
	- and many many others

Linux International is very much interested in putting together a set of
configuration tools for Linux.  Tools that will make it easier for existing
users to configure Linux and may also knock over one more hurdle preventing
other users from swicthing to Linux.

The purpose of this announcement is to announce the opening of a mailing list
which will be dedicated to coordinating the development of a set of
configuration packages for Linux.  Everyone and anyone is free to join this
mailing list.  In particular we'd like to hear from people interested in
volunteering some time in assisting in writing the necessary software and
those interested in discussing what needs to be included and how it should all
work.

The mailing list will be used to:
- firstly, discuss which parts of the system need to be configured in this
   manner
- secondly, what are the requirements of such configuration tools
- and thirdly, to begin writing the software necessary to achieve the aims
   and goals established on the list

This has the potential to be a very big project and one that has the
possibility of reducing a number of frequently asked questions in
comp.os.linux.help .  Many users would love to have nice intuitive
configuration tools which would hopefully make Linux much easier to configure
and setup.  With your help and participation we can make a start on this and
develop tools which will be of benefit to a large number of present and future
Linux users.

Hoping to see quite a few volunteers and participants on the mailing list.

Regards,
Patrick D'Cruze					pdcr...@orac.iinet.com.au
Linux International

Details on joining the mailing list.

SUBSCRIBING
":

	subscribe li-config-tools

This will subscribe the account from which you send the message to
the li-config-tools list.

If you wish to subscribe another address instead (such as a local
redistribution list), you can use a command of the form:

	subscribe li-config-tools other-address@your_site.your_net

HELP
====

To find out more about the automated server and the commands it
understands, send the following command to "majord...@orac.iinet.com.au":

	help

If you feel you need to reach a human, send email to

	li-config-tools-appro...@orac.iinet.com.au

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-annou...@tc.cornell.edu
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.