From: Nicho...@binary9.com (Nicholas J. Leon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup,
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Connecting Linux box to NT
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 1994 12:53:54 -0500

I was wondering if I could get some advice...

I'm interested in connection my NT box to a Linux one. Basically, all I /need/
to do is share harddrives, but would like more. What type of connection is
needed? Can I go NUL MODEM <-> NUL MODEM? Is there anyway to use TCP/IP in
this connection? Would I have to purchase a networking card (Ethernet) to
connect the two systems? And has anyone done this already? If so, I'd really
enjoy hearing about your experiences/frustrations/praises. I'd also like a
comment on the software needed to perform such a connection. I know that NT
has many networking types built-in, but I'm not sure how these relate to
Linux.

Thank you all very much. If I get many responses, I'll post a summary.

N!

 Nicholas J. Leon (nicho...@binary9.com)
 Manager R&D, Binary 9 Software Systems
 910/274/3041/voice

 Send mail to get...@binary9.com for bounce-back of my PGP 2.3 public key

alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
    Nicholas> I was wondering if I could get some advice...  I'm
    Nicholas> interested in connection my NT box to a Linux
    Nicholas> one. Basically, all I /need/ to do is share harddrives,
    Nicholas> but would like more. What type of connection is needed?
    Nicholas> Can I go NUL MODEM <-> NUL MODEM? Is there anyway to use
    Nicholas> TCP/IP in this connection? Would I have to purchase a
    Nicholas> networking card (Ethernet) to connect the two systems?
    Nicholas> And has anyone done this already? If so, I'd really
    Nicholas> enjoy hearing about your
    Nicholas> experiences/frustrations/praises. I'd also like a
    Nicholas> comment on the software needed to perform such a
    Nicholas> connection. I know that NT has many networking types
    Nicholas> built-in, but I'm not sure how these relate to Linux.

I use Linux from my NT system all the time. I use an X Windows server
to run things like Mosaic and WinQVT/Net for telnet and rlogin access.
You would need a network for this, obviously, and if you wanted to
share drives, you would need some sort of NFS client/server for NT.
Chameleon makes one for NT, I hear. Works fine, but no real help from
the current NT tcp/ip (which is kinda lame). Linux has very good
networking, though, and the next version of NT is supposed to have
much better tcp/ip.

Eamonn Sullivan		|	esulli...@pcweek.ziff.com
PC Week Labs		|	phone: 617-393-3841