Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
From: Linux_Intl@orac.iinet.com.au
Subject: Announce: Automatic Hardware Configuration project
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 22:09:16 GMT

Recent developments in the Linux kernel have proved that many people find
the concept of a modular kernel popular.  In particular many users are
making use of SLS 1.05 (or doing it themselves) and enjoying the benefits
of loading/unloading various kernel drivers.  While not officially
sanctioned by Linus, many people find it useful and enjoy the benefits
this concept has to offer.

The next step following on from the loadable drivers, is to have the
kernel automatically configure itself at boot time.  To be able to
correctly probe the computer and determine what cards, chipsets, etc
are installed and then use that info to correctly install all of the
necessary device drivers in the kernel.  This would eliminate much of
the kernel compilation and reconfiguration time for end-users.

Linux International is interested in pursuing this next step.  We have
established a mailing list for those interested in participating in
developing the necessary software to accomplish this.  It must be
remembered of course that all kernel modifications are subject to
Linus's approval and so there are no guarantees that this software or
the loadable drivers will show up in the "official" kernel anytime soon.

Bearing that in mind, I think many people would be interested in an
autoconfiguring kernel.  It hopefully will reduce kernel configuration
time to zero and relieve newbie users of one more thing to manage on
their Linux systems.  Whether this is a good or bad thing is another
question.

A number of people have already expressed an interest in contributing to
this project and helping with the coding of the necessary software.  If
you too would like to contribute time and energy into developing this
software, we would encourage you to join the mailing list.  Anyone and
everyone is welcome to join, but we especially want to hear from people
willing to help develop this.  Appended to this message are the details
for subscribing to the mailing list.

Looking forward to seeing quite a few people on the list.

Regards,
Patrick D'Cruze					pdcruze@orac.iinet.com.au
Linux International

SUBSCRIBING
following in the body (not the subject line) of an email message to
"li-autoconfig-request@orac.iinet.com.au":

	subscribe li-autoconfig

This will subscribe the account from which you send the message to
the li-autoconfig list.

If you wish to subscribe another address instead (such as a local
redistribution list), you can use a command of the form:

	subscribe li-autoconfig other-address@your_site.your_net

HELP
====

To find out more about the automated server and the commands it
understands, send the following command to "majordomo@orac.iinet.com.au":

	help

If you feel you need to reach a human, send email to

	li-autoconfig-approval@orac.iinet.com.au

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@tc.cornell.edu
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.