Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
From: root@homebase.linux.org (System Administrator)
Subject: linux.org springs into existance
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 00:09:00 GMT

Hi Everyone,

   I would like to announce the registration of linux.org as a valid domain name
in the DNS.  I have set up a system here which I intend to act as the center
of the linux.org domain.

   I would like to use the domain for the benefit of the linux community at
large, with the assistance of the people behind linux.  With that in mind, I
am going to provide a number of services to the community.

www.linux.org:

   With great thanks to Liem Bahneman, (Thaddeus on irc), an http server is
currently running with a home page, and hypertext help on various components
of linux.  Included are pointers to the major ftp sites, howto's and faqs,
etc.  If you have any qyestions or comments regarding this service, please
send them to www@linux.org, and I'm sure Liem will answer them as quickly as
possible.

ftp.linux.org:

   Currently this is an empty directory.  I'd like to ellicit the help of the
developers of various linux software to place copies of their release packages
in a subdirectory of that site, where they will be appropirately organized.  I
am looking to have a definitive source for new linux distributions on this
site, be it thru mirrors or direct involvement.  With that in mind, a
volunteer to help with maintenance would be good... :)

Developers:

   I would like to have all the various developers of linux software have mail
aliases within the linux.org domain.  If you've worked and developed a part of
the linux system at large, send an email to alias-request@linux.org.  Requests
will be reviewed and an entry made in the aliases file of linux.org.  I would
like to keep them to names if possible.  Private mail addresses need not
be sent out if you prefer to remain semi-anonmymous.  I hope to hear from
Linus as well as everyone else.

   Alan.Cox@linux.org has already been registered.  For those who aren't aware,
he is currently the person in charge of networking portion of the linux kernel.

   I am open to any suggestions people would like to make.  This is starting
new, so it's open for ideas.  For those of us on IRC, I'm online as Arisian,
and I'm also the author of the newest version of linuxbot.  Feel free to say
hi.

   Mike was here...

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@tc.cornell.edu
Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.