From: df...@csc.albany.edu (D Parsons)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Problem patching the kernel for SCO compatibility
Date: 19 May 1994 14:22:21 GMT
Originator: df...@thor.albany.edu

I want to install SCO WordPerfect on Slackware 1.2.0 but I cannot get a
succesful patch kernel-1.0.pat to either the original 1.0 kernel or a
newly installed one. patch -d /usr/src/linux -p1 (or -p0) < Patches/kernel-1.0.pat
should bring up text which asks 11 questions about what file to
patch to each one. Some attempts to patch fail completely and others cause
the above text to scroll across the screen without stopping. Hunks are
reported to fail and the kernel hooks and the module for 'insmod iBCS' is
not built in the .. /linux/ibcs directory. If this had worked, on doing
make config    to recompile the kernel the choice comes up:
   Link with Elf/COFF support? CONFIG_BINFMT_IBCS
Yes  permantly links the SCO changes to the kernel while no activates the
Elf and COFF support.
  I hope I was correct in answering all the patch questions (which file to
patch?) with /usr/src/zImage. Another thing I dont understand is what to
do with the second icbs directory that is created (/icbs in addition to
/usr/src/linux/icbs. I think this is reffered to as the "stub" directory.
Also, I dont see why I have to perform the patch from the /usr/src/linux/ibcs
directory and not a higher one. Can anyone help on this? Thanks. Don

--
Donald F. Parsons MD, Wadsworth Ctr. Rm C273, NY State Dept of Health, ESP,
PO Box 509, Albany, NY 12201-0509. (518)474-7047 Fax: (518)474-7992

DP> I hope I was correct in answering all the patch questions (which file to
DP> patch?) with /usr/src/zImage. Another thing I dont
DP> understand is what to
DP> do with the second icbs directory that is created (/icbs in
DP> addition to
DP> /usr/src/linux/icbs. I think this is reffered to as the
DP> "stub" directory.
DP> Also, I dont see why I have to perform the patch from the
DP> /usr/src/linux/ibcs
DP> directory and not a higher one. Can anyone help on this?

Boy, are you confused :-).

Unpack the archive whereever you like. You will end up with an ibcs
directory in whatever directory you are in at the time. If you are in / you
end up with /ibcs - but lets assume you were in /usr/src so ended up with
/usr/src/ibcs.

  Now cd to /usr/src/linux and do:

           patch -p1 < /usr/src/ibcs/Patches/kernel-1.0.pat

it shouldn't ask you any questions but you can expect there to be rejections
with config.in and kernel/ksyms.S as these change too regularly to predict.
These rejections need applying by hand. Read the .rej files and edit the
actual files. Lines starting with '-' in the .rej file should be removed
from the actual file, lines starting with '+' should be added - the rest are
just to help you find where you should be looking.

  Once you've patched the kernel and done the rejections by hand you can do
a make config; make dep; make and boot the new kernel.

  Then cd to /usr/src/ibcs and do a make to create the iBCS module which you
can then load and unload with insmod and rmmod.

                                Mike

P.S. Those of you using the new SLS modular kernel are probably S.O.L. You
could try sending CDs/beer etc. to persuade me but right now I have no plans
to maintain patches for other than the main kernel sources so if it doesn't
work it doesn't work.