From: c...@titan.ucs.umass.edu (CHRISTOPHER M MAY)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Linux Intrntl & Auto Cfg project
Date: 20 May 1994 19:50:30 GMT

Hi, I just saw a solicitation for "volunteer hardware experts"
to write for the AutoConfiguration Project for Linux International.

What is the general consensus on this project?
As I have yet to volunteer any services (I need to get through
school, and I have a job), I would like to know what people
think.  My first impression is that this project is somewhat unnessesary.

IMHO:
Linux isn't for the feint of heart when it comes to computer knowledge.
It's really for those who want to push the envelope of what their PC
can do, under a multitasking Unix-like OS.

Do we really want people who can't tell a jumper from a gender-mender
using this OS?  Can they possibly contribute to it's progress?

It sounds to me like a big effort to sell some people (i.e. newbies)
something they don't really want, by hiding some of the complexity of
the system from them.

I forget, is LI a "non-profit" organization which is truly working
for the betterment of Linux?  Why did they post outside the Linux
groups _FIRST_?  I keep up with these groups alot, and if it had been
handled correctly, I might have joined.  From what I remember, though,
it seems that the general linux community was against their autoconfig
project.  Please inform me, I don't know it all when it comes to linux
politics.  I don't want to rub anybody the wrong way, but seems like
a furthering of the fragmentation that we're seeing so much of lately.

Can't people just work on drivers and real hardware support, and leave
the distributions as they are?
--

-Chris May, Computer Science, University of MA, Amherst
-	Technical Assistant, P.C. Maintenance Lab

>Hi, I just saw a solicitation for "volunteer hardware experts"
>to write for the AutoConfiguration Project for Linux International.

>I forget, is LI a "non-profit" organization which is truly working
>for the betterment of Linux?  Why did they post outside the Linux
>groups _FIRST_?  I keep up with these groups alot, and if it had been
>handled correctly, I might have joined.

Point of fact.  We didn't post to the comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
newsgroups first.  We made a posting to comp.os.linux.announce almost
a full week BEFORE the postings to the ibm newsgroups.

>From what I remember, though,
>it seems that the general linux community was against their autoconfig
>project.  Please inform me, I don't know it all when it comes to linux
>politics.  I don't want to rub anybody the wrong way, but seems like
>a furthering of the fragmentation that we're seeing so much of lately.

We're not attempting to introduce any fragmentation at all or to get
involved in any politics.  Linus and the other kernel developers have not
decided to use the loabale modules within the Linux kernel due to a number
of concerns they have about it.  Hence it is an "unsupported" modification.
They are working on a more robust version though.  This has nothing to do
with autoconfiguration though.  We're just attempting to get a few people
together to work on a "plug and play" package for Linux which should work
for both loadable drivers technologies.  We have not voiced support for
either implementation but rather for both.

As for whether this is a good thing or a bad thing - each person will have
opinions.  I believe that this is a just a little thing which is going
to make Linux easier to setup.  Its not going to reduce the complexity
of the system in any way and is not going to have much of an impact upon
newbie users.  I could be wrong here but I thought the whole point
of using a computer was to unload as much of the work onto the computer
as possible.  Why should I have to go and manually set IRQ's, DMA
addresses, specify which cards I've got, etc when I could get the
computer to do it all?  Its one less task I have to do in maintaining
and configuring my system.

>Can't people just work on drivers and real hardware support, and leave
>the distributions as they are?

Why can't people work on drivers and real hardware support AND distributions?
The 2 are not mutually exclusive.

>--

>-Chris May, Computer Science, University of MA, Amherst
>-	Technical Assistant, P.C. Maintenance Lab

Patrick D'Cruze					pdcr...@orac.iinet.com.au
Linux International